ImageGrouper: Search, Annotate and Organize Images by Groups
- 574 Downloads
In Content-based Image Retrieval (CBIR), trial-and-error query is essential for successful retrieval. Unfortunately, the traditional user interfaces are not suitable for trying different combinations of query examples. This is because first, these systems assume query examples are added incrementally. Second, the query specification and result display are done on the same workspace. Once the user removes an image from the query examples, the image may disappear from the user interface. In addition, it is difficult to combine the result of different queries.
In this paper, we propose a new interface for Content-based image retrieval named ImageGrouper. In our system, the users can interactively compare different combinations of query examples by dragging and grouping images on the workspace (Query-by-Group.) Because the query results are displayed on another pane, the user can quickly review the results. Combining different queries is also easy. Furthermore, the concept of “image groups” is also applied to annotating and organizing a large number of images.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Balabanovic, M., Chu, L.L. and Wolff, G.J. Storytelling with Digital Photographs. In CHI’00, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Bederson, B.B. Quantum Treemaps and Bubblemaps for a Zoomable Image Browser. HCIL Tech Report #2001-10, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742.Google Scholar
- 5.Cousins, S.B., et al. The Digital Library Integrated Task Environment (DLITE). In 2nd ACM International Conference on Digital Libraries, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.Cox, I.J., Miller, M.L., Minka, T.P., Papathomas, T.V. and Yianilos, P.N. The Bayesian Image Retrieval System, PicHunter: Theory, Implementation, and Psychophysical Experiments. In IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 9, No. 1, January 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.Flickner, M., Sawhney, H. and et al. Query by Image and Video content: The QBIC system. In IEEE Computer, Vol. 28, No.9, pp. 23–32, September 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.Jones, S. Graphical Query Specification and Dynamic Result Previews for a Digital Library. In UIST’8, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.Kuchinsky, A., Pering, C., Creech, M.L., Freeze, D., Serra, B. and Gwizdka, J. FotoFile: A Consumer Multimedia Organization and Retrieval System. In CHI’99, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.Laaksonen, J., Koskela, M. and Oja, E. Content-based image retrieval using self-organization maps. In Proc. of 3rd Intl. Conf. in Visual Information and Information Systems, 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.Lagergren, E. and Over, P. Comparing interactive information retrieval systems across sites: The TREC-6 interactive track matrix experiment. In ACM SIGIR’98, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.Müller, H et al. Automated Benchmarking in Content-based Image Retrieval. In Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo 2001, August, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.Nakazato, M. et al., UIUC Image Retrieval System for JAVA, available at http://chopin.ifp.uiuc.edu:8080.
- 14.Nakazato, M. and Huang, T.S. 3D MARS: Immersive Virtual Reality for Content-based Image Retrieval. In Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo 2001.Google Scholar
- 15.O’Day V. L. and Jeffries, R. Orienteering in an information landscape: how informationseekers get from here to there. In INTERCHI’ 93, 1993.Google Scholar
- 16.Pecenovic, Z., Do, M-N., Vetterli, M. and Pu, P. Integrated Browsing and Searching of Large Image Collections. In Proc. of Fourth Intl Conf on Visual Information Systems, Nov, 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.Rodden, K., Basalaj, W., Sinclair, D. and Wood, K. Does Organization by Similarity Assist Image Browsing? In CHI’01. 2001.Google Scholar
- 18.Rui, Y., Huang, T. S., Ortega, M. and Mehrotra, M. Relevance Feedback: A Power Tool for Interactive Content-Based Image Retrieval. In IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Video Technology, Vol. 8, No. 5, Sept. 1998.Google Scholar
- 19.Rui, Y. and Huang, T. S., Optimizing Learning in Image Retrieval. In IEEE CVPR’ 00, 2000.Google Scholar
- 21.Shneiderman, B. and Kang, H. Direct Annotation: A Drag-and-Drop Strategy for Labeling Photos. In Proc. of the IEEE Intl Conf on Information Visualization (IV’00), 2000.Google Scholar
- 22.Smeulders, A.W.M., Worring, M., Santini, S., Gupta, A. and Jain, R. Content-based Image Retrieval at the End of the Early Years. In IEEE PAMI Vol. 22, No. 12, December, 2000.Google Scholar
- 23.Smith, J.R. and Chang S-F. Transform features for texture classification and discrimination in large image databases. In Proc. of IEEE Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, 1994.Google Scholar
- 24.Smith, J.R. and Chang S-F. VisualSEEk: a fully automated content-based image query system. In ACM Multimedia’96, 1996.Google Scholar
- 25.Sticker, M. and Orengo, M., Similarity of Color Images. In Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 2420 (Storage and Retrieval of Image and Video Databases III), SPIE Press, Feb. 1995.Google Scholar
- 26.Zhou, X. and Huang, T. S. A Generalized Relevance Feedback Scheme for Image Retrieval. In Proc. of SPIE Vol. 4210: Internet Multimedia Management Systems, 6–7 November 2000.Google Scholar
- 27.Zhou, X. S. and Huang, T. S. Edge-based structural feature for content-base image retrieval. Pattern Recognition Letters, Special issue on Image and Video Indexing, 2000.Google Scholar
- 28.Zhou, X. S., Petrovic, N. and Huang, T. S. Comparing Discriminating Transformations and SVM for Learning during Multimedia Retrieval. In ACM Multimedia’ 01, 2001.Google Scholar