A Cross-Modal Electronic Travel Aid Device
This paper describes the design of an Electronic Travel Aid device, that will enable blind individuals to “see the world with their ears.” A wearable prototype will be assembled using low-cost hardware: earphones, sunglasses fitted with two CMOS micro cameras, and a palmtop computer. Currently, the system is able to detect the light spot produced by a laser pointer, compute its angular position and depth, and generate a correspondent sound providing the auditory cues for the perception of the position and distance of the pointed surface. In this way the blind person can use a common pointer as a replacement of the cane.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Bar-Shalom and T. Fortmann. Tracking and Data Association. AP, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.Durand R. Begault. 3D Sound for virtual reality and multimedia. AP Professional, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Blauert. Spatial Hearing: the Psychophysics of Human Sound Localization. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.R. C. Bolles, H. H. Baker, and M. J. Hannah. The JISCT stereo evaluation. In Proceedings of the Image Understanding Workshop, pages 263–274, Washington, DC, April 1993. ARPA, Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 5.C. P. Brown and R. O. Duda. A structural model for binaural sound synthesis. 6(5):476–488, September 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Jr S. A. Dallas. Sound pattern generator. WIPO Patent No. WO82/00395., 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.U. R. Dhond and J. K. Aggarwal. Structure from stereo-a review. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 19(6):1489–1510, Nov/Dec 1989.Google Scholar
- 8.O. Faugeras. Three-Dimensional Computer Vision: A Geometric Viewpoint. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Fish. An audio display for the blind. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 23(2), 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.Heinrich Kuttruff. Room Acoustics. Elsevier Science, Essex, England, 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.Kay L. Air sonar with acoustical display of spatial information. In Animal Sonar System, pages 769–816, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- 13.The LAR-DEIS Videt Project. University of Bologna-Italy. Available at URL http://www.lar.deis.unibo.it/activities/videt.
- 15.E. Trucco and A. Verri. Introductory Techniques for 3-D Computer Vision. Prentice-Hall, 1998.Google Scholar
- 16.Scott A. Van Duyne and Julius O. Smith. Physical modeling with the 2-D digital waveguide mesh. pages 40–47, Tokyo, Japan, 1993. ICMA.Google Scholar
- 17.Scott A. Van Duyne and Julius O. Smith. A Simplified Approach to Modeling Dispersion Caused by Stiffness in Strings and Plates. pages 407–410, Aarhus, Denmark, September 1994. ICMA.Google Scholar