Foundations of a Multidimensional Query Language for Digital Libraries
- First Online:
A query language for Digital Libraries is presented, which offers access to documents by structure and sophisticated usage of metadata. The language is based on a mathematical model of digital library documents, centered around a multilevel representation of documents as versions, views and manifestations. The core of the model is the notion of document view, which is recursive, and captures the content and structure of a document.The metadata representation distinguishes between formats and specifications, so being able to accommodate different metadata formats, even for the same document. A query is a logical formula, and its result are the digital library documents satisfying the user query.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dublin core metadata element set, version 1.1:Reference description.http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/.
- 2.NCSTRL:Networked computer science technical reference library.http://www.ncstrl.org.
- 5.SCHOLNET:A digital library testbed to support networked scholarly communities.http://www.ercim.org/scholnet.
- 8.M. Brodie, J Mylopoulos, and J. Schmidt,editors.On Conceptual Modelling.Springer Verlag,1984.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Castelli and P. Pagano.OpenDLib:a digital library service system.In Proc.of ECDL2002,6th European Conf.on Research and Advance Technology for Digital Libraries, Rome, I, 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Castelli and P. Pagano.Global system architecture report. Technical ReportD2.2.1,Scholnet Project Deliverable, 2001.http://www.ercim.org/scholnet/results.html.
- 11.P. Fejer and D. Simovici. Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science.Volume 1.Springer-Verlag, New York,1991.Google Scholar
- 13.Network Development Library of Congress and MARC Standards Office. MARC standards.http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/.
- 15.J. Mylopoulos and A. Borgida. Some features of the Taxis data model. In Proc.of the 6th VLDB, pages 399–410, Montreal, CA,1980.Google Scholar
- 16.K.G. Saur. Functional requirements for bibliographic records.Final report.Technical report, Munchen,1998.http://www.i.a.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.pdf.