Navigating in Bibliographic Catalogues
The FRBR-model provided by the IFLA Study group on the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records addresses the need for a more thorough model of bibliographic information. This paper describes a solution for applying the FRBR model to existing bibliographic catalogues. This is accomplished by augmenting the catalogue with an externally stored map that contains relationships and entities according to the model. The core of the system is the Digital Library Link Service developed at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology — a flexible and general purpose link service developed to support the structuring of information objects in digital libraries. A client application is developed to visualize the map and to enable users to interact with the map by navigating along the available paths.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Carr, L., Hall, W., Roure, D.D. The Evolution of Hypertext Link Services.ACM Computing Surveys,31(4es), Dec.1999.Google Scholar
- 3.Delsey, T. Functional Analysis of the MARC 21 Bibliographic and Holdings Format.Technical report, 2002. Prepared for the Network Development and MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress.URL: http://www.loc.gov/marc/marc-functional-analysis/home.html [last visited 2002-06-26].
- 4.Hegna, K., Murtomaa, E. Data mining MARC to Find:FRBR? Technical report, BIBSYS/HUL,2002.URL: http://folk.uio.no/knuthe/dok/frbr/datamining.pdf [last visited 2002-06-26].
- 5.Hitchcock, S., Carr, L., Hall, W., Harris, S., Evans, D., Brailsford, D. Linking Electronic Journals:Lessons from the Open Journal project. D-Lib Magazine, December 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.IFLA study group on the functional requirements for bibliographic records. Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records:Final Report. Technical report, IFLA,1998.URL: http://www.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.pdf [last visited 2002-06-26 ].
- 7.Leazer, G.H., Smiraglia, R.P. Toward the Bibliographic Control of Works:Derivative Bibliographic Relationships in an Online Union Catalog. In Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Conference on Digital Libraries, pages 36–43, Bethesda, MD USA, March 1996. ACM.Google Scholar
- 8.Lewis, P.H., Hall, W., Carr, L.A., Roure, D.D.The Significance of Linking. ACM Computing Surveys, 31(4es), Dec.1999.Google Scholar
- 9.Library of Congress. Displays for Multiple Versions from MARC 21 and FRBR.Technical report, Network Development and MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress, 2002.URL: http://www.loc.gov/marc/marc-functional-analysis/multiple-versions.html [last visited 2002-06-26 ].
- 10.Tillett, B.B. A Taxonomy of Bibliographic Relationships. Library Resources &Technical Services,35(2):150–158, April 1991.Google Scholar
- 11.Weinstein, P. Ontology-Based Metadata:Transforming the MARC Legacy.In Proceedings of the Third International ACM Digital Library Conference,pages 254–263, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, June 1998.ACM.Google Scholar