From Digital Archive to Digital Library— A Middleware for Earth-Observation Data Management
The German Remote Sensing Data Center (DFD) has developed a digital library for the long-term management of earth observation data products. This Product Library is a central part of DFD’s multi-mission ground segment Data Information and Management System (DIMS) and is successfully in operation since 2000. Its data model is regularly extended to support products of upcoming earth observation missions. The Product Library implements a middleware filling the gap between application-level object data models and physical storage structures such as a digital robot archive with hierarchical storage management. This paper presents the principles of the Product Library middleware and its application in the specific earth observation context.
KeywordsDigital Library File System Inventory Service Digital Archive Query Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mikusch, E., Diedrich, E., Göhmann, M., Kiemle, S., Reck, C., Reiβig, R., Schmidt, K., Wildegger, W., Wolfmüller, M.: Data Information and Management System for the Production, Archiving and Distribution of Earth Observation Products. Data Systems in Aerospace 2000, EUROSPACE. ESA Publications Division, SP-457, Noordwijk (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Kiemle, S., Mikusch, E., Göhmann, M.: The Product Library— A Scalable Long-Term Storage Repository for Earth Observation Products. Data Systems in Aerospace 2001, EUROSPACE. ESA Publications Division, SP-483, Noordwijk (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Object Management Group and X/Open: The Common Object Request Broker 2.3: Architecture and Specification. John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Kiemle, S., Mikusch, E., Reck, C., Reiβig, R., Wildegger, W., Wolfmüller, M.: Data Information and Management System for Earth Observation Products based on CORBA and Java. EOGEO 2000, http://webtech.jrc.it/eogeo2000. JRC, Ispra (2000)
- 5.Object Data Management Group ODMG: The Object Data Standard: ODMG 3.0. Morgan Kaufmann (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kampa, R.A., Bell, L.V.: UNIX Storage Management. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York(2002)Google Scholar