Notes from the Interoperability Front: A Progress Report on the Open Archives Initiative
The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH) was first released in January 2001. Since that time, the protocol has been adopted by a broad community and become the focus of a number of research and implementation projects. We describe the various activities building on the OAI-PMH since its first release. We then describe the activities and decisions leading up to the release of a stable Version 2 of the OAI-PMH. Finally, we describe the key features of OAI-PMH Version 2.
- 10.Arms, W. Y., Hillmann, D., Lagoze, C., Krafft, D., Marisa, R., Saylor, J., Terrizzi, C., and Van de Sompel, H., “A Spectrum of Interoperability: The Site for Science Prototype for the NSDL,” D-Lib Magazine, 8 (1), 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.Bird, S. and Simons, G., OLAC Protocol for Metadata Harvesting, 2001 http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/protocol.html.Google Scholar
- 12.Bird, S., Simons, G., and Huang, C. R., “The Open Language Archives Community and Asian Language Resources,” presented at Workshop on Language Resources in Asia, 6th Natural Language Processing Pacific Rim Symposium (NLPRS), Tokyo, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.Box, D., Ehnebuske, D., Kakivaya, G., Layman, A., Mendelsohn, N., Nielsen, H. F., Thatte, S., and Winer, D., “Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) 1.1,” World Wide Web Consortium, W3C Note May 08 2000. http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP.
- 14.Bradner, S., “Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels,” IETF, RFC 2119, March 1997. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt.
- 15.Cole, T. W., Kaczmarek, J., Marty, P. F., Prom, C. J., Sandore, B., and Shreeves, S., “Now That We’ve Found the Hidden Web, What Can We Do With It? The Illinois Open Archives Initiative Metadata Harvesting Experience,” presented at Museums and the Web, Boston, 2002.Google Scholar
- 16.Dushay, N., “Localizing Experience of Digital Content via Structural Metadata,” presented at submission to Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Portland, Oregon, 2002.Google Scholar
- 17.Fallside (ed.), D. C., “XML Schema Part 0: Primer,” World Wide Web Consortium, W3C Candidate Recommendation CR-xmlschema-0-20001024, 24 October 2000. http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/.
- 18.Harnad, S., “Free at Last: The Future of Peer-Reviewed Journals,” D-Lib Magazine, 5 (12), 1999.Google Scholar
- 19.Kenney, A., McGovern, N., Boticelli, P., Entlich, R., Lagoze, C., and Payette, S., “Preservation Risk Management for Web Resources,” D-Lib Magazine, 8 (1), 2002.Google Scholar
- 20.Lagoze, C., Arms, W., Gan, S., Hillmann, D., Ingram, C., Krafft, D., Marisa, R., Phipps, J., Saylor, J., Terrizzi, C., Hoehn, W., Millman, D., Allan, J., Guzman-Lara, S., and Kalt, T., “Core Services in the Architecture of the National Digital Library for Science Education (NSDL),” Cornell University, Ithaca, arXiv Report cs.DL/0201025, January 29 2002. http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.DL/0201025.
- 21.Lagoze, C. and Van de Sompel, H., “The Open Archives Initiative: Building a low-barrier interoperability framework,” presented at Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Roanoke, VA, 2001.Google Scholar
- 22.Lawrence, S. and Giles, C. G., “Search Engines Fall Short,” Science, 285 (5426), pp. 295, 1999.Google Scholar
- 23.Liu, X., “DP9 Service Provider for Web Crawlers,” D-Lib Magazine, 7 (12), 2001.Google Scholar
- 24.Perkins, J., “A New Way of Making Cultural Information Resources Visible on the Web: Museums and the Open Archives Initiative,” presented at Museums and the Web, Seattle, 2001.Google Scholar
- 25.Shapiro, C. and Varian, H. R., Information rules: a strategic guide to the network economy. Boston, Mass.: Harvard Business School Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- 26.Suleman, H., “Enforcing Interoperability with the Open Archives Initiative Repository Explorer,” presented at Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Roanoke, 2001.Google Scholar
- 27.Van de Sompel, H., Krichel, T., and Nelson, M. L., “The UPS Prototype: an experimental end-user service across e-print archives,” D-Lib Magazine, 6 (2), February, 2000.Google Scholar
- 28.Van de Sompel, H. and Lagoze, C., “The Santa Fe Convention of the Open Archives Initiative,” D-Lib Magazine, 6 (2), 2000.Google Scholar
- 29.Waters, D. J., “The Metadata Harvesting Initiative of the Mellon Foundation,” ARL, Washington DC, ARL Bimonthly Report 271, August 2001.Google Scholar
- 30.Wolf, M. and Wicksteed, C., “Date and Time Formats,” World Wide Web Consortium, W3C Note 15, 15 September 1997. http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime.
- 31.Zia, L. L., “Growing a National Learning Environments and Resources Network for Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology Education,” D-Lib Magazine, 7 (3), 2001.Google Scholar