A Theoretical Analysis of Google’s PageRank
- 725 Downloads
Our work starts from the definition of an intuitive formula that can be used to order the Web pages according to their importance, showing the need of a modification of this formula on a mathematical basis. Following the thread of this argument we get to a well-founded general formula, that covers many interesting different cases, and among them that of PageRank, the algorithm used by the Google search engine, as it is currently proposed in recent works [4, 7]. Then we prove the substantial equivalence between this PageRank formula and the classic formula proposed in . As an example of the versatility of our general formula we derive from it a version of PageRank based on a user personalization. Finally, we discuss the problem of the “objectivity” of classic PageRank, demonstrating that a certain degree of subjectivity persists, since the order of Web pages given by this algorithm depends on the value of a parameter.
KeywordsInformation retrieval (IR) IR and Web Link-based analysis Ranking PageRank Markov chains
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Bilardi, Mar. 2002. Personal communication.Google Scholar
- A. Borodin, G. O. Roberts, J. S. Rosenthal, and P. Tsaparas. Finding authorities and hubs from link structures on the World Wide Web. In Proceedings of the World Wide Web Conference, May 2001. http://www.www10.org/cdrom/papers/314/index.html.
- S. Brin and L. Page. The anatomy of a large scale hypertextual Web search engine. In Proceedings of the World Wide Web Conference, 1998. http://www7.scu.edu.au/programme/fullpapers/1921/com1921.htm.
- M. R. Henzinger. Hyperlink analysis for the Web. IEEE Internet Computing, 5(1), Jan.-Feb. 2001.Google Scholar
- S. Karlin. A First Course in Stochastic Processes. Academic Press, New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- J. M. Kleinberg. Authoritative sources in a hyperlinked environment. Journal of the ACM, 46(5):604–632, Sept. 1999.Google Scholar
- R. Lempel and S. Moran. SALSA: The stochastic approach for link-structure analysis. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 19(2):131–160, Apr. 2001.Google Scholar
- M. Mitzenmacher. Notes on Kleinberg’s algorithm and PageRank. Unpublished manuscript. http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/+michaelm/CS222/NOTES/Klein.ps (downloaded: January 2002).
- L. Page, S. Brin, R. Motwani, and T. Winograd. The PageRank citation ranking: bringing order to the Web. Unpublished manuscript. http://google.stanford.edu/+backrub/pageranksub.ps (downloaded: January 2002), 1998.
- E. Peserico, Mar. 2002. Personal communication.Google Scholar