Solving Boolean Satisfiability Using Local Search Guided by Unit Clause Elimination
In this paper we present a new randomized algorithm for SAT combining unit clause elimination and local search. The algorithm is inspired by two randomized algorithms having the best current worst- case upper bounds (and ,). Despite its simplicity, our algorithm performs well on many common benchmarks (we present results of its empirical evaluation). It is also probabilistically approximately complete.
Keywords:Boolean satisfiability local search empirical evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Dantsin, E.A. Hirsch, S. Ivanov,and M. Vsemirnov. Algorithms for SAT and upper bounds on their complexity.ECCC Technical Report 01-012,ftp://ftp.eccc.unitrier.de/pub/eccc/reports/2001/TR01-012/index.html.
- 2.J. Gu, P.W. Purdom, J. Franco, and B.W. Wah. Algorithms for satisfiability (SAT)problem:A survey.DIMACS Ser.in DM and TCS 35,1997,pages 19–152.Google Scholar
- 3.H.H. Hoos.On the run-time behaviour of stochastic local search algorithms for SAT. In Proc.AAAI’99,pages 661–666.Google Scholar
- 4.H.H. Hoos. Stochastic Local Search-Method,Models,Applications.PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, Darmstadt University of Technology,1998.Google Scholar
- 5.H.H. Hoos and T. Stützle. SATLIB. http://www.satlib.org/.
- 7.D.S. Johnson and M.A. Tricks,editors. Cliques,Coloring and Satisfiability, volume 26 of DIMACS Ser.in DM and TCS.AMS,1996.Google Scholar
- 8.D. McAllester, B. Selman,and H. Kautz. Evidence in invariants for local search. In Proc.AAAI’97,pages 321–326.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Paturi, P. Pudl ák, M.E. Saks,and F. Zane. An improved exponential-time algorithm for k-SAT. In Proc.FOCS’98,pages 628–637.Google Scholar
- 10.S.D. Prestwich. Local search and backtracking vs non-systematic backtracking. In AAAI 2001 Fall Symposium on Using Uncertainty within Computation.To appear.Google Scholar
- 11.U. Schöning. A probabilistic algorithm for k-SAT and constraint satisfaction problems. InProc.FOCS’99,pages 410–414.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Schuler, U. Schöning,and O. Watanabe. An improved randomized algorithm for 3-SAT. Technical Report TR-C146, Dept.of Math.and Comp.Sci.,Tokyo Inst.of Tech.,2001.Google Scholar
- 13.D. Schuurmans and F. Southey. Local search characteristics of incomplete SAT procedures. In Proc.of AAAI’2000,pages 297–302.Google Scholar
- 14.B. Selman, H. A. Kautz, and B. Cohen. Noise strategies for improving local search. In Proc.AAAI’94,pages 337–343.Google Scholar
- 15.B. Selman, H. Levesque, and D. Mitchell. A new method for solving hard satisfiability problems. In Proc.AAAI’92,pages 440–446.Google Scholar