Experimental and Computational Modeling of Cardiac Electromechanical Coupling
Perturbations in ventricular mechanical loading can be arrhythmogenic and have been associated with sudden cardiac death in patients suffering from congestive heart failure, dilated cardiomyopathy, or ventricular volume overload (1–3). Stretch-induced changes in action potential propagation or repolarization could provide a mechanism for mechanically induced arrhythmias. However, there is a paucity of information regarding the effects of altered load on conduction velocity. The few existing reports present an unclear picture; some of the discrepancies may be due to the varying techniques used.
KeywordsConduction Velocity Action Potential Duration Action Potential Propagation Action Potential Amplitude Isolate Rabbit Heart
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Ruknudin A, Sachs F, Bustamante JO. Stretch-activated ion channels in tissue-cultured chick heart. Am J Physiol 1993;264:H960–H972.Google Scholar
- 7.Sigurdson W, Morris C, Brezden B, Gardner D. Stretch activation of a K+ channel in colluscan heart cells. Journal of Experimental Biology 1987;127:191–209.Google Scholar
- 10.Sung D, Omens JH, McCulloch AD. Ventricular mechanoelectric feedback in the isolated rabbit heart. In: Kamm RD, Schmid-Schonbein GW, Ateshian GA, Hefzy MS, editors. Summer Bioengineering Conference; 2001; Snowbird, Utah; 2001. p. 683–684.Google Scholar
- 12.McCulloch A, Sung D, Thomas ME, Michailova A. Chapter 11: Computational and Experimental Modeling of Ventricular Electromechanical Interactions. In: Virag N, Blanc O, Kappenberger L, editors. Computer Simulation and Experimental Assessment of Cardiac Electrophysiology. Amonk, NY: Futura Publishing Company, Inc.; 2001. p. 89–94.Google Scholar
- 14.Sung D. Effects of Mechanical Load on Ventricular action Potential Propagation and Repolarization [Ph.D.]. La Jolla: University of California San Diego; 2001.Google Scholar
- 19.Sung D, Somayajula-Jagai J, Cosman P, McCulloch AD. Phase-shifting prior to spatial filtering enhances optical recordings of cardiac action potential propagation. Ann Biomed Eng (in press) 2001.Google Scholar
- 20.Winslow RL, Rice J, Jafri S, Marban E, O'Rourke B. Mechanisms of altered excitationcontraction coupling in canine tachycardia-induced heart failure, II: model studies. Circ Res 1999;84(5):571–86.Google Scholar
- 21.Zabel M, Koller BS, Sachs F, Franz MR. Stretch-induced voltage changes in the isolated beating heart: importance of the timing of stretch and implications for stretch-activated ion channels. Cardiovascular Research 1996;32(1):120–30.Google Scholar