Storage Allocation for Real-Time, Embedded Systems
Dynamic storage allocation and automatic garbage collection are among the most popular features that high-level languages can offer. However, time-critical applications cannot be written in such languages unless the time taken to allocate and deallocate storage can be reasonably bounded. In this paper, we present algorithms for automatic storage allocation that are appropriate for real-time and embedded systems. We have implemented these algorithms, and results are presented that validate the predictability and efficiency of our approach.
KeywordsEmbed System Garbage Collection Spec Benchmark Internal Fragmentation Free Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dante J. Cannarozzi, Michael P. Plezbert, and Ron K. Cytron. Contaminated garbage collection. Programming Language Design and Implementation, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Trishul Chilimbi and James Larus. Using generational garbage collection to implement cache-conscious data placement. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Memory Management, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.SPEC Corporation. Java spec benchmarks. Technical report, SPEC, 1999. Available by purchase from SPEC.Google Scholar
- 4.Scott Haug. Automatic storage optimization via garbage collection. Master’s thesis, Washington University, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Donald E. Knuth. Fundamental Algorithms, Volume 1, The Art of Computer Programming, Second Edition. Addison-Wesley, 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.Tim Lindholm and Frank Yellin. The Java Virtual Machine Specification. Addison-Wesley, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.Paul R. Wilson. Uniprocessor garbage collection techniques (Long Version). Submitted to ACM Computing Surveys, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.Paul R. Wilson, Mark S. Johnstone, Michael Neely, and David Boles. Dynamic storage allocation: A survey and critical review. In Henry Baker, editor, Proceedings of International Workshop on Memory Management, volume 986 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Kinross, Scotland, September 1995. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar