Introducing QoS to Electronic Commerce Applications
Business to consumer is expected to be one of the fastest growing segments of electronic commerce. One important and challenging problem in such context, is the satisfaction of user expectations about the Quality of Service (QoS) provided when applications are deployed on a large scale. In this paper, we will examine the use of dynamic QoS management techniques in combination with replication at the various architectural levels of an electronic commerce application.
KeywordsQuery Processing Database Server Global Query Multidatabase System Distribute Query Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Corn88]D. W. Cornell, P. S. Yu: Site Assignment for Relations and Join Operations in the Distributed Transaction Processing Environment. ICDE 1988: 100–108Google Scholar
- [Daya85]U. Dayal, Query Processing in a Multidatabase System, In Query Processing in Database Systems 1985: 81–108Google Scholar
- [Du95]W. Du, M.-C. Shan, U. Dayal, Reducing Multidatabase Query Response Time by Tree Balancing. SIGMOD Conference 1995: 293–303Google Scholar
- [Evre97]C. Evrendilek, A. Dogac, S. Nural, F. Ozcan, Multidatabase Query Optimization. Distributed and Parallel Databases 5(1): 77–114 (1997)Google Scholar
- [Meng95]W. Meng, and C. Yu, Query Processing in Multidatabase Systems, In Modern Database Systems: The Object Model, Interoperability, and Beyond, edited by W. Kim, Addison-Wesley/ACM Press, 1995:551–572Google Scholar
- [Ozsu99]M. T. Ozsu, P. V alduriez, Principles of Distributed Database Systems, second edition, Chapter 15, Prentice-Hall, 1999Google Scholar
- [Salem00]M. Mohamed Salem, G.v. Bochmann and J. Wong: "A Scalable Architecture for QoS Provision in Electronic Commerce Applications, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- [TPCW]TPC-W Benchmark Specification, http://www.tpc.org/wspec.html
- [Urha98]T. Urhan, M. J. Franklin, L. Amsaleg: Cost Based Query Scrambling for Initial Delays. SIGMOD Conference 1998: 130–141Google Scholar
- [Ye99]H. Ye, B. Kerhervé and G. v. Bochmann, Quality of service aware distributed query processing, 10th Intern. Workshop on Database & Expert Systems Applications, Florence, Italy, 1-3 Sept. 1999, Proc. published by IEEE Computer Society, 1999.Google Scholar
- [Ye00]H. Ye, G.v. Bochmann, B. Kerherv, An adaptive cost model for distributed query processing, UQAM Technical Report 2000-06, May 2000Google Scholar