Policy-Carrying, Policy-Enforcing Digital Objects
We describe the motivation for moving policy enforcement for access control down to the digital object level. The reasons for this include handling of item-specific behaviors, adapting to evolution of digital objects, and permitting objects to move among repositories and portable devices. We then describe our experiments that integrate the Fedora architecture for digital objects and repositories and the PoET implementation of security automata to effect such object- centric policy enforcement.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kozen, Dexter, “Language-Based Security”, Computer Science Technical Report #TR99-1751, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University, June 15, 1999, http://cs-tr.cs.cornell.edu:80/Dienst/UI/1.0/Display/ncstrl.cornell/TR99-1751
- 2.Payette, Sandra and Carl Lagoze, “Flexible and Extensible Digital Object and Repository Architecture,” ECDL98, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1513, Springer, 1998, (draft at: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/payette/papers/ecdl98/fedora.html)Google Scholar
- 3.Payette, Sandra, Christophe Blanchi,Carl Lagoze, and Edward Overly, “Interoperability for Digital Objects and Repositories: The Cornell/CNRI Experiments,” D-Lib Magazine, May1999.http://www.dlib.org/dlib/may99/payette/05payette.html
- 4.Schneider, Fred B., “Enforceable Security Policies,” Computer Science Technical Report#TR98-1664, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University, July 24, 1999, http://cs-tr.cs.cornell.edu:80/Dienst/UI/1.0/Display/ncstrl.cornell/TR98-1664
- 5.Erlingsson, Ulfar and Fred B. Schneider, “SASI Enforcement of Security Policies: A Retrospective,”Computer Science Technical Report #TR99-1758, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University, July 19, 1999, http://cs-tr.cs.cornell.edu:80/Dienst/UI/1.0/Display/ncstrl.cornell/TR99-1758
- 6.Erlingsson, Ulfar and Fred B. Schneider, “IRM Enforcement of Java Stack Inspection,”Computer Science Technical Report #TR2000-1786, Department of Computer Science, Cornell University, February 19, 2000, http://cs-tr.cs.cornell.edu:80/Dienst/UI/1.0/Display/ncstrl.cornell/TR2000-1786.
- 8.Blaze, Matt, Joan Feigenbaum, Martin Strauss, “Compliance Checking in the PolicyMaker Trust Management System”, ATT Labs, 1998, http://www.research.att.com/library/trs/TRs/98/98.3/98.3.2.body.ps.
- 11.Nelson, M., Maly, K., Zubair, M., and Shen, S.N.T, SODA: Smart Objects, Dumb Archives, ECDL99, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 1999, http://link.springer.de/link/service/series/0558/bibs/1696/16960453.htm Google Scholar