Singularity Handling on Puma in Operational Space Formulation
A solution to the singularity problem is presented from the approach of the operational space formulation which involves both motion and force control. A brief summary of the Operational Space Formulation and how singularity presents a problem is explained. The inverse of the Jacobian at singular configuration is handled by removing the degenerate components of the motion, therefore manipulator is made redundant to the task. Khatib’s  dynamically consistent inverse was then used to invert the Jacobian and to create a null space motion to escape from the singular configuration in the case that the desired path lies in the degenerate direction. The algorithm was implemented on the PUMA 560 manipulator, and the results are presented.
KeywordsJacobian Matrix Null Space Joint Torque Orientation Error Feasible Path
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E.W. Aboaf and R.P. Paul 1987 Living with the Singularity of Robot Wrists. IEEE Intl. Conf. for Robotics and Automation pp 1713–1717.Google Scholar
- B. Armstrong, O. Khatib, J. Burdick 1986 The Explicit Dynamic Model and Inertial Parameters of the PUMA 560 Arm. IEEE Intl. Conf. Robotics and Automation pp 510–518.Google Scholar
- K. Chang and O. Khatib 1995 Manipulator Control at Kinematic Singularities: A dynamically consistent Strategy. Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems Pittsburgh, vol. 3, pp. 84–88.Google Scholar
- John J. Craig 1989 Introduction to Robotics, Mechanics and Control. 2nd ed, Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- P. Hsu, J. Hauser, S. Sastry 1988 Dynamic Control of Redundant Manipulators. IEEE Int;. Conf. Robotics and Automation vol. 1, pp 183–187.Google Scholar
- Jamisola, R., Ang, M, Jr., Lim, T.M., Khatib, O., Lim, S.Y. 1999 Dynamics Identification and Control of an Industrial Robot. The Ninth Intl. Conf. On Advanced Robotics pp 323–328.Google Scholar
- O. Khatib 1996 Advanced Robotics Lecture Notes, Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Y. Nakamura 1991 Advanced Robotics-Redundancy and Optimization Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- L. Sciavicco and B. Siciliano 1990 Modeling and Control of Robot Manipulators McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar