Java-Based Distributed Intelligent Agent Architecture for Building Safety-Critical Tele-Inspection Systems on the Internet
The inspection of SG(Steam-Generator) tubes in a NPP(Nuclear Power Plant) is a time-consuming, laborious, and safety-critical task because of several serious constraints including a highly radiated working environment, tight task schedule, and the need for many highly qualified human inspectors. In order to realize this kind of safety-critical and complex inspection using the Internet, intelligent agents based on Java distributed technologies were designed. The proposed agent architecture, which is a declarative commanding concept based on a layered architecture, was introduced to minimize the affect of Internet latency and maximize the reliability of an inspection system using teleoperation via the Internet.
KeywordsNuclear Power Plant Steam Generator Device Driver Human Inspector Subsumption Architecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M, Cox, and J. Baruch, “Robotic telescopes: An interactive exhibit on the World-Wide Web,” Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. World Wide Web, Chicago, Oct. 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Paulos and J. Canny. “Delivering Real Reality to the World-Wide Web via Telerobotics,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, Minneapolis, Apr. 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Goldberg, M. Mascha, S. Gentner, N. Rothenberg, C. Sutter, and J. Wiegley. “Desktop Teleoperation via the World Wide Web,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, Nagoya, Japan, may, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Taylor and J. Trevelyan. “Australia’s Telerobotic on the Web,” Proc. 25th Int. Industrial Robots Symp., Singapore, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.S. J. Kang, J. C. Moon, D. H. Choi, S. S. Choi, and H. G. Woo, “A Distributed and Intelligent System Approach for the Automatic Inspection of Steam-Generator Tubes in Nuclear Power Plants,” IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science, vol. 45, no. 3, June 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.Sun Microsystems, “Java Remote Method Invocation Specification beta draft,” Dec. 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.D. R. T. Robinson, “ The WWW Common Gateway Interface Version 1.1,” Internet Draft, IETF, Feb. 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.Zetec In., SM-10 Operation Guide System DISC Series 200/300 Edition 18.6, Rev.5, Dec. 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Watson, Intelligent JAVA Applications for the Internet and Intranets, Morgan Kaufmann,1997Google Scholar
- 11.R. Brooks, “Intelligence without Reason,” in Proc. International Joint Conference on AI, Sydney, Australia, August 1991.Google Scholar