Knowledge-Intensive Gathering and Integration of Statistical Information on European Fisheries
Gathering, maintenance, integration and presentation of statistics are major activities of the Dutch Agricultural Economics Research Institute LEI. In this paper we explore how knowledge and agent technology can be exploited to support the information gathering and integration process. In particular, the methods used by the institute’s experts in the domain of Fishery Economics are analyzed. Also, the design and implementation of a prototype system for intelligent information gathering and integration are discussed. The model covers not only the actual integration, but also the processes for identification of the type of information needed by the client, and the gathering of source information.
KeywordsPrototype System Information Gathering Actual Integration User Goal Data Entry Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ambite, J.L. and Knoblock, C.A., Flexible and Scalable Planning in Distributed and Heterogeneous Environments. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on AI Planning Systems, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.Brazier, F.M.T., Jonker, C.M., and Treur, J., Principles of Compositional Multi-agent System Development. In: J. Cuena (ed.), Proceedings of the 15th IFIP World Computer Congress, WCC’98, Conference on Information Technology and Knowledge Systems, IT&KNOWS’98, 1998, pp. 347–360. To be published by IOS Press.Google Scholar
- 3.Dol, W., Einhaus, N.F., Hennen, W.H.G.J., Salz, P., Verwaart, D., Analytical Fisheries Economics Database. LEI, The Hague, final report of definition study for the European Commission, 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.Economic Performance of Selected Fleet Segments in the EU 1996/2 Report, working document nr. 10, January 1997, Concerted Action ?Co-ordination of Research in Fishery Economics (AIR CT94 1489).Google Scholar
- 5.Knoblock, C.A. and J.L. Ambite, Agents for Information Gathering. In: Bradshaw, J. Software Agents. AAAI/MIT Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.Visser, P.R.S., Jones, D.M., Bench-Capon, T.J.M., and Shave, M.J.R., An analysis of ontology mismatches; heterogeneity versus interoperability. AAAI 1997 Spring Symposium on Ontology Engineering, 1997.Google Scholar