A Simulation-Based Procedure for Expert System Evaluation
It is well recognized that the evaluation of the knowledge-based system is very important and difficult in the development of expert systems in the domains such as aviation and navigation. To alleviate some of the difficulties, and to reduce the development cost, the authors proposed an evaluating procedure based on simulation. The proposed procedure was designed to validate the functionality and capability of an expert system that was developed to provide decision-making support in ship navigation. In this paper, the developed expert system for collision avoidance is first outlined, and the procedure to evaluate the developed expert system by using a simulation-based approach is presented in details. It is also concluded that the simulation-based procedure is feasible and effective for evaluating expert systems in a number of different domains.
KeywordsExpert System Domain Expert Collision Avoidance Traffic Simulation Integrate Navigation System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Massimo Benerecett, Fausto Giunchiglia, and Luciano Serafini, Multiagent System Verification via Model Checking. Proceedings of EUROVAV 98, 1998Google Scholar
- 2.Catholijn M. Jonker, Jan Treur, and Wieke De Vries, Compositional Verification of Agents in Dynamic Environment: a Case Study. Proceedings of EUROVAV 98, 1998Google Scholar
- 3.Francky Trichet and Pierre Tchounikine, Verifing and Validating a Task/Method Knowledge-base. Proceedings of EUROVAV 98, 1998Google Scholar
- 4.Mysore Ramaswamy and Sumit Saeker, Global Verification of Knowledge Based Systems via Local Verification of Partition. Proceedings of EUROVAV 97, 1997Google Scholar
- 5.Frans Coene and Faul Dunne, Verification and Validation of Rulebases Using a Binary Encoded Incidence Matrix Technique, Proceedings of EUROVAV 97, 1997Google Scholar
- 6.Anca I. Vermesan, Knowledge-based Systems: Verification and Validation in the view of Certification, Proceedings of EUROVAV 97, 1997Google Scholar
- 7.Dieter Fensel and Arno Schonegge, Specifying and Verifying Knowledge-based Systems with KIV, Proceedings of EUROVAV 97, 1997Google Scholar
- 8.K. Kose and C. Yang, A Collision Avoidance Expert System for Integrated Navigation System and Its Brush-up, Journal of the Society of Naval architects of Japan. Vol. 177, 1995Google Scholar
- 9.C. Yang, An Expert System for Collision Avoidance and Its Application, Ph.D. Thesis, 1995Google Scholar
- 10.K. Kose, Y. Ishioka, and C. Yang, A study on a Collision Avoidance Expert System for Decision-making Support in Integrated Navigation System, Journal of The Society of Naval Architects of Japan. Vol.178, 1996Google Scholar
- 11.A. Nagasawa, K. Hara, K. Inoue, and K. Kose, The Subjective Difficulties of the Situation of Collision Avoidance II— Toward the Rating by Simulation, Journal of Japan Institute of Navigation. Vol.91, 1993Google Scholar