Reliable Real-Time Transport of Stereo Video for Immersive Media Communication
Emerging high-speed next-generation Internet is enabling immersive media communication systems and applications to realize geographically distributed team collaborations, overcoming the limit of distance and time. Focusing on the reliable real-time delivery of 3D (i.e., stereo) video among corresponding parties, in this paper, key schemes for stereo video processing/display and reliable transport of stereo video packets over high-speed Internet are designed and implemented. The performance of proposed stereo video delivery system is evaluated both by emulating various network situations for quantitative comparison and by transmitting over real-world Internet up to the speed of around 100 Mbps. The results demonstrate the feasibility of the proposed system in supporting the desired immersive communication.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ACE homepage, http://calder.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ACE-grid/.
- O. Schreer and P. Kauff, “An immersive 3D video-conferencing system using shared virtual team user environments,” in Proc. ACM Collaborative Environments CVE 2002, Bonn, Germany, Sept./Oct. 2002.Google Scholar
- E. He, J. Leigh, O. Yu, and T. A. DeFanti, “Reliable blast UDP: Predictable high performance bulk data transfer,” in Proc. IEEE Cluster Computing 2002, Chicago, IL, Sept. 2002.Google Scholar
- W. Kellerer, E. Steinbach, P. Eisert, and B. Girod, “A real-time internet streaming media testbed,“ in Proc. IEEE Inter. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo (ICME`2002), 2002.Google Scholar
- M. Husak, “Guide to making your own digital stereo-video movies in DVD quality for playing on computers,” http://staffold.vscht.cz/~husakm/stereopcvideo.html.
- Access Grid Homepage, http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/fl/accessgrid/.
- L. Rizzo, “Effective erasure codes for reliable computer communication protocols,” Computer Communication Review, vol. 27, April 1997.Google Scholar
- W. Kumwilaisak, J. Kim, and C.-C. J. Kuo, “Video transmission over wireless fading channels with adaptive FEC,” in Proc. Picture Coding Symposium `2001, Apr. 2001.Google Scholar
- J. Rosenberg and H. Schulzrinne. An RTP payload format for generic forward error correction, December 1999. RFC 2733.Google Scholar