Analytical Approach for Channel Assignments in Cellular Networks
In the present paper channel assignments in cellular architectures are considered. This is quite important in cell and channel planning since reusing channels in cells allows to manage resources and to serve users effectively in the system. The optimal solution is offered here for the case of co-channel interference. Previous solutions on co-channel interference are based on regular hexagonal models for service areas. A novel technique is employed in this work that does not depend upon any geometric form of cells. It is obtained that the optimal number of channels equals the density of a special graph. Earlier analytical results on span minimization show lower bounds meanwhile we provide the upper bound in this paper.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Lee, Mobile Cellular Telecommunications: analog and digital systems, Second Edition, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.Y. Akaiwa, Intoduction to Digital Mobile Communications, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Fedortsov, B. Tsybakov, “Channels distribution in cellular network,” Information Transmition Problems, vol. 32, pp. 91–99, 1996 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Gamst, “Homogeneouse Distribition of Frequencies in a Regular Hexaginal Cell System,” IEEE Transactions on Veh. Technology, vol. VT-31, pp. 132–144, Aug. 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Gamst, “Some Lower Bounds for a Class of Frequency Assignment Problems,” IEEE Transactions on Veh. Technology, vol. VT-31, pp. 132–144, Aug. 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.V.H. MacDonald, “Advanced mobile phone service: The cellular concept,” Bell Syst. Tech. J., v.58, pp. 15–41, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Sen, T. Roxoborough, and S. Medidi, “Upper and lower Bounds of a Class of Channel Assignment Problems in Cellular Networks,” Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM’98, vol. 3, pp. 1284–1291, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Sen, T. Roxoborough, and S. Medidi, “On an Optimal Algorithm for Channel Assignment in Celluar Networks,” Proc. of IEEE ICC’99, vol. 2, pp. 1147–1151, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.J.A. Khan, S.M. Sait, and S.A. Khan, “A fast constructive algorithm for fixed channel assignment problem,” The 2001 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, v.5, pp. 65–68, 2001.Google Scholar
- 13.W.K. Hale, “Frequency assignment: Theory and application,” Proc. IEEE, v.68, pp. 1497–1514.Google Scholar
- 22.K.A. Smith, “A genetic algorithm for the channel assignment problem,” IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, v.4, pp. 2013–2018, 1998.Google Scholar
- 23.G. Chakraborty and B. Chakraborty “A genetic algorithm approach to solve channel assignment problem in cellular radio networks,” Proc. of SMCia/99, pp. 34–39, 1999.Google Scholar
- 24.R. Diestel, Graph Theory, Second Edition. Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 111–112, 2000.Google Scholar