On-Line Stream Merging, Max Span, and Min Coverage
This paper introduces the notions of span and coverage for analyzing the performance of on-line algorithms for stream merging. We show that these two notions can solely determine the competitive ratio of any such algorithm. Furthermore, we devise a simple greedy algorithm that can attain the ideal span and coverage, thus giving a better performance guarantee than existing algorithms with respect to either the maximum bandwidth or the total bandwidth. The new notions also allow us to obtain a tighter analysis of existing algorithms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. C. Aggarwal, J. L. Wolf, and P. S. Yu. On optimal piggyback merging policies for video-on-demand systems. In Proc. ACM Sigmetrics, pages 200–209, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Bar-Noy, J. Goshi, R. E. Ladner, and K. Tam. Comparison of stream merging algorithms for media-on-demand. In Proc. Conf. on Multi. Comput. and Net. (MMCN), pages 115–129, 2002.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Bar-Noy and R. E. Ladner. Competitive on-line stream merging algorithms for media-on-demand. In Proc. 12th ACM-SIAM SODA, pages 364–373, 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Cai, K. A. Hua, and K. Vu. Optimizing patching performance. In Proc. Conf. on Multi. Comput. and Net. (MMCN), pages 204–215, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.S. W. Carter and D. D. E. Long. Improving bandwidth efficiency of video-on-demand. Computer Networks, 31(1–2):99–111, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.W. T. Chan, T. W. Lam, H. F. Ting, and W. H. Wong. Competitive analysis of on-line stream merging algorithms. In Proc. 27th MFCS, pages 188–200, 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.W. T. Chan, T. W. Lam, H. F. Ting, and W. H. Wong. A unified analysis of hot video schedulers. In Proc. 34th ACM STOC, pages 179–188, 2002.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Coffman, P. Jelenkovic, and P. Momcilovic. The dyadic stream merging algorithm. Journal of Algorithms, 43(1), 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Eager, M. Vernon, and J. Zahorjan. Bandwidth skimming: A technique for coste effective video-on-demand. In Proc. Conf. on Multi. Comput. and Net. (MMCN), pages 206–215, 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.K. A. Hua, Y. Cai, and S. Sheu. Patching: A multicast technique for true video-on-demand services. In Proc. 6th ACM Multimedia, pages 191–200, 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.S. Sen, L. Gao, J. Rexford, and D. Towsley. Optimal patching schemes for efficient multimedia streaming. In Proc. 9th Int. W. on Net. and OS Support for Digital Audio and Video, pages 44–55, 1999.Google Scholar
- 16.P. W. H. Wong. On-line Scheduling of Video Streams. PhD thesis, The University of Hong Kong.Google Scholar