Hardware-Accelerated Real-Time Rendering for 3D Sumi-e Painting
This paper presents a method for real-time 3D Sumi-e rendering using normal graphics hardware. Sumi-e is one of the traditional oriental painting styles. Most research on Sumi-e paintings has focused on 2D or 2.5D Sumi-e brushwork simulation. On these systems, complicated user’s hand drawing is required to generate the image of Sumi-e effects, and it can render the 2D or 2.5D Sumi-e images only. We present an automated rendering system for 3D image of Sumi-e painting. It uses 3D common object as an input data and does not need any additional input of user brushwork. Especially for the real-time rendering, hardware-accelerated algorithm for Sumi-e rendering is newly suggested in our system. It is designed with efficiency for customer level graphics hardware. The results of this paper show that the features of traditional Sumi-e painting are successfully modeled and that 3D Sumi-e painting is rendered in real-time effectively.
KeywordsGraphic Hardware Brush Stroke Atmospheric Depth Hardware Acceleration Programmable Pipeline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Heidrich, H.-P. Seidel, Realistic, Hardware-accelerated Shading and Lighting, Proceeding of SIGGRAPH 1999, pp. 171–178.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Lake, C. Marshall, M. Harris, M. Blackstein, Stylized Rendering Techniques For Scalable Real-Time 3D Animation, Proceedings of NPAR 2000, pp.13–20.Google Scholar
- 3.J. T. Lee, Diffusion Rendering of Black Ink Painting Using New Paper and Ink Models, Computers & Graphics 25, pp. 295–308.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Lengyel, E. Praun, A. Finkelstein, H. Hoppe, Real-Time Fur over Arbitrary Surfaces, Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics 2001, pp. 227–232.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Majumder, M. Gopi, Hardware Accelerated Real Time Charcoal Rendering, Proceeding of NAPR 2002, pp. 59–66.Google Scholar
- 6.B. Pham, Expressive Brush Strokes, Graphical Model and Image Processing 53(1), pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Praun, H. Hoppe, M. Webb, A. Finkelstein, Real-Time Hatching, Proceeding of SIGGRAPH 2001, pp. 581–586.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Pudet, Real-Time Fitting of Hand-Sketched Pressure Brush Strokes, Proceeding of Eurographics 1994, pp. 205–220.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Strassmann, Hairy Brush, Proceeding of SIGGRAPH 1986, pp. 225–232.Google Scholar
- 10.D. L. Way, Z. C. Shih, The Synthesis of Rock Textures in Chinese Landscape Painting, Computer Graphics Forum Vol. 20 Number 3, pp. C123–C131.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Webb, E. Praun, A. Finkelstein, H. Hoppe, Fine Tone Control in Hardware Hatching, Proceeding of NPAR 2002, pp. 53–58.Google Scholar