A Deposit for Digital Collections
We present the architecture and requirements for a novel system for managing the deposit of specific genres of digital publications in a deposit library. The system adopts a simple model for online publications and supports both harvesting and delivery models of deposit. This paper describes that system, and presents an evaluation after a trial period with the harvesting functions.
KeywordsElectronic Publication JPEG Image Digital Publication Digital Item Periodic Publication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jose Borbinha. A URN namespace for resources maintained by the National Library of Portugal — Internet Draft (submission in progress).Google Scholar
- Junghoo Cho and Hector Garcia-Molina. The evolution of the web and implications for an incremental crawler. In Amr El Abbadi, Michael L. Brodie, Sharma Chakravarthy, Umeshwar Dayal, Nabil Kamel, Gunter Schlageter, and Kyu-Young Whang, editors, VLDB 2000, Proceedings of 26th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, September 10–14, 2000, Cairo, Egypt, pages 200–209, 2000.Google Scholar
- Working Group of the Conference of Directors of National Libraries. The legal deposit of electronic publications. Available at http://www.unesco.org/webworld/memory/legaldep.htm, December 1996.
- Library of Congress Must Improve Handling Of Digital Information. LC21: A Digital Strategy for the Library of Congress. Available at http://www4.nationalacademies.org/news.nsf/isbn/0309071445?OpenDocument Accessed on June 2001.
- Networked European Deposit Library Available at http://www.kb.nl/nedlib/. Accessed on June 2001.
- Long-term Preservation of Electronic Publications: The NEDLIB project Available at http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september99/vanderwerf/09vanderwerf.html. Accessed on June 2001.
- Naming and Addressing: URIs, URLs,... Web Naming and Addressing Overview. Available at http://www.w3.org/Addressing/. Accessed on June 2001.
- Universal Resource identifiers in WWW Available at http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/uri-spec.html. Accessed on June 2001.
- The PANDORA Project: a summary of progress PANDORA Archive-Key Documents Available at http://pandora.nla.gov.au/documents.html. Accessed on June 2001.
- R. Moats. RFC 2141: URN syntax, 1997.Google Scholar
- National bibliographic database-Porbase. Available at http://portico.bl.uk/gabriel/en/countries/portugal-union-en.html, Porbase available at http://porbase.bn.pt/.
- Andrew Waugh, Ross Wilkinson, Brendan Hills, and Jon Dell’Oro. Preserving digital information forever. In Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Conference on Digital Libraries, June 2–7, 2000, San Antonio, TX, USA, pages 175–184. ACM, 2000.Google Scholar
- PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL-a sophisticated Object-Relational DBMS. Available at http://www.postgresql.org
- Martijn Koster. A Standard for Robot Exclusion. Available at http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/norobots.html, The Robots pages at WebCrawler available at http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/robots.html.
- OCLC PURL Service. Persistent URL at http://purl.oclc.org/
- The Apache Software Foundation. Available at http://www.apache.org
- Brewster Kahle Archiving the Internet Scientific American, March 1997.Google Scholar