Efficient Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems from a Scalar Multiplication Algorithm with Recovery of the y-Coordinate on a Montgomery-Form Elliptic Curve
We present a scalar multiplication algorithm with recovery of the y-coordinate on a Montgomery form elliptic curve over any non-binary field.
The previous algorithms for scalar multiplication on a Montgomery form do not consider how to recover the y-coordinate. So although they can be applicable to certain restricted schemes (e.g. ECDH and ECDSA-S), some schemes (e.g. ECDSA-V and MQV) require scalar multiplication with recovery of the y-coordinate.
We compare our proposed scalar multiplication algorithm with the traditional scalar multiplication algorithms (including Window-methods in Weierstrass form), and discuss the Montgomery form versus the Weierstrass form in the performance of implementations with several techniques of elliptic curve cryptosystems (including ECES, ECDSA, and ECMQV). Our results clarify the advantage of the cryptographic usage of Montgomery-form elliptic curves in constrained environments such as mobile devices and smart cards.
KeywordsElliptic Curve Cryptosystem Montgomery form Fast Scalar Multiplication y-coordinate recovery
- [ANSI]ANSI X9.62, Public Key Cryptography for the Financial Services Industry, The Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm(ECDSA), 1999.Google Scholar
- [BP98]Bailey, D.V., Paar, C., Optimal Extension Fields for Fast Arithmetic in Public-Key Algorithms, Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO’98, LNCS1462, (1998), 472–485.Google Scholar
- [BSS99]Blake, I.F., Seroussi, G., Smart, N.P., Elliptic Curves in Cryptography, Cambridge University Press, (1999).Google Scholar
- [CMO98]Cohen, H., Miyaji, A., Ono, T., Efficient Elliptic Curve Exponentiation Using Mixed Coordinates, Advances in Cryptology-ASIACRYPT’ 98, LNCS1514, (1998), 51–65.Google Scholar
- [Coh93]Cohen, H., A course in computational algebraic number theory, GTM138, Springer-Verlag, New York, (1993).Google Scholar
- [Enge99]Enge, A., Elliptic Curves and their applications to Cryptography, Kluwer Academic publishers, (1999).Google Scholar
- [HHM00]Hankerson, D., Hernandez, J.L., Menezes, A., Software Implementation of Elliptic Curve Cryptography Over Binary Fields, Pre-Proceedings of Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES2000), (2000), 1–24.Google Scholar
- [IEEEp1363]IEEE P1363 Standard Specifications for Public-Key Cryptography (1999), Available at http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1363/
- [Kur98]Kurumatani, H. A Japanese patent announcement P2000-187438A (In Japanese) Submitted in 22nd of Dec. (1998), available from http://www.jpo-miti.go.jp/home.htm
- [Koc]Kocher, C., Cryptanalysis of Diffie-Hellman,RSA,DSS, and Other Systems Using Timing Attacks, Available at http://www.cryptography.com/
- [Koc96]Kocher, C., Timing Attacks on Implementations of Diffie-Hellman, RSA,DSS, and Other Systems, Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO’ 96, LNCS1109, (1996), 104–113.Google Scholar
- [LH00]Lim, C.H. and Hwang, H.S., Fast implementation of Elliptic Curve Arithmetic in GF(p m), Proc. PKC’00 LNCS1751, (2000), 405–421.Google Scholar
- [LL94]Lim, C. and Lee, P., More flexible exponentiation with precomputation, Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO’ 94, LNCS839, (1994), 95–107.Google Scholar
- [LV00]Lenstra, A.K. and Verheul, E.R, Selecting Cryptographic Key Sizes, Proc. PKC’00 LNCS1751, (2000), 446–465.Google Scholar
- [Mil86]Miller, V.S., Use of elliptic curves in cryptography, Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO’ 85, LNCS218, (1986), 417–426.Google Scholar
- [OS00]Okeya, K., Sakurai, K., Power Analysis Breaks Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems even Secure against the Timing Attack, Progress in Cryptology-INDOCRYPT 2000, LNCS1977, (2000), 178–190.Google Scholar
- [OSK99]Ohgishi, K., Sakai, R., Kasahara, M., Elliptic Curve Signature Scheme with No y Coordinate, Proc. SCIS’99,W4-1.3 (1999), 285–287.Google Scholar
- [SEC-1]Standards for Efficient Cryptography, Elliptic Curve Cryptography Ver.1.0, (2000), Available at http://www.secg.org/secgdocs.htm
- [Van97]Vanstone, S.A., Accelerated finite field operations on an elliptic curve, GB patent, Application number GB9713138.7 (Date Lodged, 20.06. 1997).Google Scholar