An Experimental Study of Data Migration Algorithms
The data migration problem is the problem of computing a plan for moving data objects stored on devices in a network from one configuration to another. Load balancing or changing usage patterns might necessitate such a rearrangement of data. In this paper, we consider the case where the objects are fixed-size and the network is complete. We introduce two new data migration algorithms, one of which has provably good bounds. We empirically compare the performance of these new algorithms against similar algorithms from Hall et al.  which have better theoretical guarantees and find that in almost all cases, the new algorithms perform better. We also find that both the new algorithms and the ones from Hall et al. perform much better in practice than the theoretical bounds suggest.
KeywordsRandom Graph Regular Graph Space Constraint Edge Density Data Migration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Anderson, J. Hall, J. Hartline, M. Hobbs, A. Karlin, J. Saia, R. Swaminathan, and J. Wilkes. An Experimental Study of Data Migration Algorithms. Technical report, University of Washington, 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Anderson, M. Hobbs, K. Keeton, S. Spence, M. Uysal, and A. Veitch. Hippodrome: running circles around storage administration. Submitted to Symposium on Operating System Principles, 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Borowsky, R. Golding, A. Merchant, L. Schreier, E. Shriver, M. Spasojevic, and J. Wilkes. Using attribute-managed storage to achieve QoS. In 5th Intl. Workshop on Quality of Service, Columbia Univ., New York, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.Transaction Processing Performance Council. TPC Benchmark D (Decision Support) Standard Specification Revision 2.1. 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.I. Golubchik, S. Khuller S. Khanna, R. Thurimella, and A. Zhu. Approximation Algorithms for Data Placement on Parallel Disks. In Proceedings of the Eleventh Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete ALgorithms, pages 223–232, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Hall, J. Hartline, A. Karlin, J. Saia, and J. Wilkes. On algorithms for efficient data migration. In 12th annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Micali and V. Vazirani. V E ) algorithm for finding a maximum matching in general graphs. In 21st Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Saia. Data Migration with Edge Capacities and Machine Speeds. Technical report, University of Washington, 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Wolf. The Placement Optimization Problem: a practical solution to the disk file assignment problem. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS international conference on Measurement and modeling of computer systems, pages 1–10, 1989.Google Scholar