Parallel Application of a Novel Domain Decomposition Preconditioner for the Stable Finite Element Solution of Three-Dimensional Convection-Dominated PDEs
We describe and analyze the parallel implementation of a novel domain decomposition preconditioner for the fast iterative solution of linear systems of algebraic equations arising from the discretization of elliptic partial differential equations (PDEs) in three dimensions. In previous theoretical work, , this preconditioner has been proved to be optimal for symmetric positive-definite (SPD) linear systems. In this paper we provide details of our 3-d parallel implementation and demonstrate that the technique may be generalized to the solution of non-symmetric algebraic systems, such as those arising when convection-diffusion problems are discretized using either Galerkin or stabilized finite element methods (FEMs), .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bank, R. E., Jimack, P. K., Nadeem, S. A., Nepomnyaschikh, S. V.: A Weakly Overlapping Domain Decomposition for the Adaptive Finite Element Solution of Elliptic Partial Differential Equations. Submitted to SIAM J. on Sci. Comp. (2001).Google Scholar
- 9.Johnson, C.: Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations by the Finite Element Method. Cambridge University Press (1987).Google Scholar
- 10.Message Passing Interface Forum: MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard. Int. J. Supercomputer Appl. 8 (1994) no. 3/4.Google Scholar
- 11.Oswald, P.: Multilevel Finite Element Approximation: Theory and Applications. Teubner Skripten zur Numerik, B. G. Teubner (1994).Google Scholar
- 12.Saad, Y.: SPARSEKIT: A Basic Tool Kit for Sparse Matrix Computations, Version 2. Technical Report, Center for Supercomputing Research and Development, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA (1994).Google Scholar
- 13.Smith, B., Bjorstad, P., Gropp, W.: Domain Decomposition: Parallel Multilevel Methods for Elliptic Partial Differential Equations. Cambridge University Press (1996).Google Scholar