Multitasking on FPGA Coprocessors
Multitasking on an FPGA-based processor is one possibility to explore the efficacy of reconfigurable computing. Conventional computers and operating systems have demonstrated the many advantages of sharing computational hardware by several tasks over time. The ability to do run-time configuration and readback of FPGAs in a coprocessor architecture allows investigating the problems of implementing realistic multitasking. This paper explores the control software required to support task switching for an application split over the host processor — coprocessor boundary as well as the requirements and features of context saving and restoring in the FPGA coprocessor context. An FPGA coprocessor designed especially to support multitasking of such applications is described.
KeywordsTask Switch Protein Structure Prediction FPGA Device FPGA Resource FPGA Design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.R. Hudson, D. Lehn and P. Athanas: A Run-Time Reconfigurable Engine for Image Interpolation, IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, Los Alamitos, California. April 1998. Page 88–95.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Brebner: The Swappable Logic Unit: A Paradigm for Virtual Hardware, IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, Los Alamitos, California. April 1997. Pages 77–86.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Jean, K. Tomko, V. Yavagal, R. Cook and J. Shah: Dynamic Reconfiguration to Support Concurrent Applications, IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, Los Alamitos, California. April 1998. Pages 302–303.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Simmler, L. Levinson and R. Männer: Preemptive Multitasking on FPGAs. IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, Los Alamitos, California. April 2000. unpublished. Google Scholar
- 8.J. Nehmer and P. Sturm: Systemsoftware. dPunkt.Verlag. 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.Intel: Intel Architecture Software Developer’s Manual, Volume 3, Intel Inc.. 1999. http://www.intel.com/design/product.htm
- 11.IDT: Fast Static Rams and Modules, IDT Inc. 1999. http://www.idt.com/products/sram/Welcome.html
- 12.Samsung: SRam Products, Samsung Semiconductor Inc.. 1999 http://www.usa.samsungsemi.com/products/browse/ntramsram.htm
- 13.T. Kean and A. Duncan: DES Key Breaking, Encryption and Decryption on the XC6216, IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, Los Alamitos, California. April 1998. Pages 310–311.Google Scholar
- 14.H. Simmler, E. Bindewald, R. Männer: Acceleration of Protein Energy Calculation by FPGAs, Proc. Int’l Conf. on Mathematics and Engineering Techniques in Medicine and Biological Science. CSREA Press, June 2000. unpublished.Google Scholar
- 15.E. Bindewald, et.al.: Ab inition protein structure prediction with MOLEGO, Proc. 7th Int’l Conf. on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology. 1999.Google Scholar