Multiversion Linear Quadtree for Spatio-Temporal Data
Research in spatio-temporal databases has largely focused on extensions of access methods for the proper handling of time changing spatial information. In this paper, we present the Multiversion Linear Quadtree (MVLQ), a spatio-temporal access method based on Multiversion B-trees (MVBT) , embedding ideas from Linear Region Quadtrees . More specifically, instead of storing independent numerical data having a different transaction-time each, for every consecutive image we store a group of codewords that share the same transaction-time, whereas each codeword represents a spatial subregion. Thus, the new structure may be used as an index mechanism for storing and accessing evolving raster images. We also conducted a thorough experimentation using sequences of real and synthetic raster images. In particular, we examined the time performance of temporal window queries, and provide results for a variety of parameter settings.
KeywordsGeographical Information System Query Processing Raster Image Node Capacity Naive Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.S.D. Lang and J.R. Driscoll: Improving the Differential File Technique via Batch Operations for Tree Structured File Organizations, Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE’86), Los Angeles, CA, 1986.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Manolopoulos, E. Nardelli, G. Proietti and M. Vassilakopoulos: On the Generation of Aggregated Random Spatial Regions, Proceedings 4th International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM’95), pp. 318–325, Washington DC, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Samet: The Design and Analysis of Spatial Data Structures, Addison-Wesley, Reading MA, 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Samet: Applications of Spatial Data Structures, Addison-Wesley, Reading MA, 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.T. Tzouramanis, M. Vassilakopoulos and Y. Manolopoulos: Overlapping Linear Quadtrees: a Spatio-temporal Access Method, Proceedings 6th ACM Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM-GIS’98), pp. 1–7, Bethesda MD, November 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.T. Tzouramanis, M. Vassilakopoulos and Y. Manolopoulos: Processing of Spatio-Temporal Queries in Image Databases, Proceedings 3rd East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS’99), pp. 85–97, Maribor, September 1999.Google Scholar
- 16.T. Tzouramanis, M. Vassilakopoulos and Y. Manolopoulos: Multiversion Linear Quadtree for Spatio-Temporal Data, Technical Report, Data Engineering Lab, Department of Informatics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Address for downloading: http://delab.csd.auth.gr/~theo/TechnicalReports
- 17.T. Tzouramanis, M. Vassilakopoulos and Y. Manolopoulos: Overlapping Linear Quadtrees and Window Query Processing in Spatio-Temporal Databases, submitted.Google Scholar
- 18.Y. Theodoridis, T. Sellis, A. Papadopoulos and Y. Manolopoulos: Specifications for Efficient Indexing in Spatiotemporal Databases, Proceedings of the 7th Conference on Statistical and Scientific Database Management Systems (SSDBM’98), pp. 123–132, Capri, Italy, 1998.Google Scholar