A Steganographic Framework for Reference Colour Based Encoding and Cover Image Selection
Steganography is a method of communication which hides the existence of the communication from a third party.The employment of steganographic techniques depends on various demands, which will be derived and considered. This paper regards different aspects of digital images. These are representation, storage and as a result also suitability for their use in steganography. Based upon this, some criteria for the choice of suitable cover images are pointed out. A new technical steganographic system, which uses reference colours as starting point for embedding and extraction of information has been developed and will be described. This system can be adapted flexibly to different requirements and considers the human visual system as well as the derived statements for potential cover images. Results are described which justify the new approach.
KeywordsChannel Capacity Human Visual System Image Format Cover Image JPEG Compression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bro97]A. Brown. S-tools for windows, version 4. ftp://idea.sec.dsi.unimi.it/pub/security/crypt/code/s-tools4.zip, 1997.
- [CKLS96]I. Cox, J. Kilian, T. Leighton, and T. Shamoon. A secure robust watermark for multimedia. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science, number vol1174. SpringerVerlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [FM97]B. Fortner and T.E. Meyer. Number by Colors. Springer Verlag, 1997.Google Scholar
- [JJ98]N.F. Johnson and S. Jajodia. Exploring steganography: Seeing the unseen. IEEE Computer, 1998.Google Scholar
- [Mac97]R. Machado. EzStego. http://www.stego.com 1997.
- [Mal98]H.A. Mallot. Sehen und die Verarbeitung visueller Informationen. Vieweg, 1998.Google Scholar
- [PAK99]F. A. P. Petitcolas, R. J. Anderson, and M. Kuhn. Information hiding-a survey. In IEEE special issue on protection of multimedia content, 1999.Google Scholar
- [Pol99]C. Polynton. Color science for Film, Video and CGI. Siggraph’99, 1999.Google Scholar
- [Rep00]H. Repp. Hide4pgp. http://www.heinz-repp.onlinehome.de/Hide4PGP.htm, 2000.
- [Ros00]R. Rosenbaum. Computer based steganography in digital images. Master’s thesis, University of Rostock, 2000. In German.Google Scholar
- [Say96]K. Sayood. Introduction to Data Compression. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Sim83]G.J. Simmons. The prisoners’ problem and the subliminal channel. InAdvances in Cryptography: Proceedings of CRYPTO, 1983.Google Scholar
- [SZA96]M.D. Swanson, B. Zhu, and Tewfik A.H. Robust data hiding for images. In Digital Image Processing Workshop, number DSP96. IEEE, 1996.Google Scholar
- [SZT96]M.D. Swanson, B. Zhu, and A.H. Tewfik. Transparent robust image watermarking. In Int. Conf. on Image Processing. IEEE, 1996.Google Scholar
- [WP99]A. Westerfeld and A. Pfitzmann. Attacks on steganographic systems. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume vol1768. Springer Verlag, 1999.Google Scholar