Multiple Populations Guided by the Constraint-Graph for CSP
In this paper we examine the gain of the performance obtained using multiple populations - that evolve in parallel - of the constraintgraph based evolutionary algorithm (in its dynamic adaptation operators version) with a migration policy. We show that a multiple populations approach outperforms a single population implementation when applying it to the 3-coloring problem. We also evaluate various migration policies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adamis, Review of parallel genetic algorithms, Dept. Elect. Comp. Eng, Aristitele Univ. Thessaloniki, Greece, Tech. Rep. 1994.Google Scholar
- A. Beguelin, J. J. Dongarra, G. A. Geist, R. Manchek, and V. S. Sunderam, A Users’ Guide to PVM Parallel Virtual Machine, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL/TM-12187, September, 1994Google Scholar
- Cheeseman P., Kanefsky B., Taylor W., Where the Really Hard Problems Are. Proceedings of IJCAI-91, pp. 163–169, 1991Google Scholar
- Culberson, J. http://web.cs.ualberta.ca/ joe/
- G. Dozier, J. Bowen, and Homaifar, “Solving Constraint Satisfaction Problems Using Hybrid Evolutionary Search,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1998.Google Scholar
- A. E. Eiben, J. I. van Hemert, E. Marchiori, A.G. Steenbeek. Solving Binary Constraint Satisfaction Problems using Evolutionary Algorithms with an Adaptive Fitness Function. Fifth International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature ( PPSN-V), LNCS 1498, pp. 196–205, 1998.Google Scholar
- Kumar. Algorithms for constraint satisfaction problems:a survey. AI Magazine, 13(1):32–44, 1992.Google Scholar
- J. Paredis, Coevolutionary Algorithms, The Handbook of Evolutionary Computation, 1st supplement, BSck, T., Fogel, D., Michalewicz, Z. (eds.), Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Riff M.-C., From Quasi-solutions to Solution: An Evolutionary Algorithm to Solve CSP. Constraint Processing (CP96), Ed. Eugene Freuder, pp. 367–381, 1996.Google Scholar
- Riff M.-C., Evolutionary Search guided by the Constraint Network to solve CSP. Proc. of the Fourth IEEE Conf on Evolutionary Computation, Indianopolis, pp. 337–342, 1997.Google Scholar
- Riff M.-C., A network-based adaptive evolutionary algorithm for CSP, In the book “Metaheuristics: Advances and Trends in Local Search Paradigms for Optimisation”, Kluwer Academic Publisher, Chapter 22, pp. 325–339, 1998.Google Scholar
- Tsang, E. P. K., Wang, C. J., Davenport, A., Voudouris, C., Lau, T. L., A family of stochastic methods for constraint satisfaction and optimization, PACLP’99, London, pp. 359–383, 1999Google Scholar