Polynomial and Adaptive Long-lived (2k- 1)-Renaming
In the long-lived M-renaming problem, processes repeatedly obtain and release new names taken from a domain of size M. This paper presents the first polynomial algorithm for long-lived (2ft - 1)- renaming. The algorithm is adaptive as its step complexity is O(k4); here k is the point contention-the maximal number of simultaneously active processes in some point of the execution. Polynomial step complexity is achieved by having processes help each other to obtain new names, while adaptiveness is achieved by a novel application of sieves.
KeywordsOperating System Communication Network Active Process Problem Complexity Algorithm Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Afek, H. Attiya, A. Fouren, G. Stupp, and D. Touitou. Adaptive long-lived renaming using bounded memory. Available at http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~hagit/pubs/AAFST99disc.ps.gz, Apr. 1999.
- 2.Y. Afek, H. Attiya, A. Fouren, G. Stupp, and D. Touitou. Long-lived renaming made adaptive. In Proc. 18th ACM Symp. Principles of Dist. Comp., pages 91–103, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Afek and M. Merritt. Fast, wait-free (2k-l)-renaming. In Proc. 18th ACM Symp. Principles of Dist. Comp., pages 105–112, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Afek, G. Stupp, and D. Touitou. Long-lived and adaptive collect with applications. In Proc. 40th IEEE Symp. Foundations of Comp. Sci., pages 262–272, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Afek, G. Stupp, and D. Touitou. Long-lived and adaptive atomic snapshot and immediate snapshot.In Proc. 19th ACM Symp. Principles of Dist. Comp., 2000. To appear.Google Scholar
- 6.H. Attiya, A. Bar-Noy, D. Dolev, D. Peleg, and R. Reischuk. Renaming in an asynchronous environment. J. ACM, 37(3):524–548, July 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Attiya and A. Fouren. Adaptive wait-free algorithms for lattice agreement and renaming. In Proc. 17th ACM Symp. Principles of Dist. Comp., pages 277–286, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Attiya and A. Fouren.An adaptive collect algorithm with applications. Submitted for publication. Available at http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~hagit/pubs/AF99ful.ps.gz, Aug. 1999.
- 9.H. Attiya and A. Fouren. Adaptive long-lived renaming with read and write operations. Technical Report 956, Faculty of Computer Science, The Technion, Mar. 1999. Available at http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~hagit/pubs/tr0956.ps.gz.
- 11.E. Borowsky and E. Gafni. Generalized FLP impossibility result for-resilient asynchronous computations. In Proc. 25th ACM Symp. Theory of Comp., pages 91–100, 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.E. Borowsky and E. Gafni. Immediate atomic snapshots and fast renaming. In Proc. 12th ACM Symp. Principles of Dist. Comp., pages 41–52, 1993.Google Scholar
- 13.E. Borowsky, E. Gafni, N. Lynch, and S. Rajsbaum. The BG distributed simulation algorithm. Technical Report MIT/LCS/TM-573, Laboratory for Computer Science, MIT, Dec. 1997.Google Scholar
- 14.H. Buhrman, J. A. Garay, J.-H. Hoepman, and M. Moir. Long-lived renaming made fast. In Proc. l th ACM Symp. Principles of Dist. Comp., pages 194–203, 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.J. E. Burns and G. L. Peterson. The ambiguity of choosing. In Proc. 8th ACM Symp. Principles of Dist. Comp., pages 145–158, 1989.Google Scholar
- 16.A. Fouren. Exponential examples for two renaming algorithms. Available at http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~hagit/pubs/expo.ps.gz, Aug. 1999.
- 17.E. Gafni. More about renaming: Fast algorithm and reduction to the k-set test-and-set problem. Unpublished manuscript, 1992.Google Scholar
- 18.M. Herlihy and N. Shavit. A simple constructive computability theorem for wait-free computation. In Proc. 26th ACM Symp. Theory of Comp., pages 243–252, 1994.Google Scholar
- 19.L. Lamport. A fast mutual exclusion algorithm. ACM Trans. Comput. Syst., 5(1):1–11, Feb. 1987.Google Scholar
- 20.M. Moir. Fast, long-lived renaming improved and simplified. Sci. Comput. Programming, 30(3):287–308, May 1998.Google Scholar
- 21.M. Moir and J. H. Anderson. Wait-free algorithms for fast, long-lived renaming. Sci. Comput. Programming, 25(1):1–39, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- 22.M. Moir and J. A. Garay. Fast long-lived renaming improved and simplified. In Proc. 10th Int. Workshop on Dist. Algorithms, volume 1151 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 287–303. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar