Integrating Path Index with Value Index for XML Data
With the advent of XML, it is becoming the de facto standard required by the Web applications. To facilitate path expression processing, we propose an index structure adopted in our native XML database system Orient-X. Our index is constructed by utilizing DTD to get paths that will appear in the XML documents. It represents structural summary of XML data collection conforming to certain DTD, so we can process any label path query without accessing original data. In addition, it is integrated with value indexes. Preliminary experiments show quite promising results.
KeywordsQuery Processing Structural Graph Query Evaluation Head Node Path Query
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Bray, J. Paoli, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen, and E. Maler (Eds). Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1. 0 (Second Edition). W3C Recommendation 6 October 2000, http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006
- 2.D. Chamberlin, D. Florescu, J. Robie, J. Simeon, and M. Stefanescu (Eds). Xquery: A Query Language for XML. W3C Working Draft, 15 February 2001, http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xquery-2001215
- 3.R. Goldman, J. Widom. DataGuide: Enabling Query Formulation and Optimization in Semistructured Databases. In Proceedings of the 23th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Athens, Greece, 1997Google Scholar
- 4.T. Milo and D. Suciu. Index structures for path expression. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Database Theory, pages 277–295, January 1999Google Scholar
- 5.Quanzhong Li, Bongki Moon. Indexing and Querying XML Data for Regular Path Expressions. In Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Roma, Italy, 2001Google Scholar
- 6.Brian F. Cooper, Neal Sample, Michael J. Franklin, Gisli R. Hjaltason, Moshe Shadmon. A Fast Index for Semistructured Data. In Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Roma, Italy, 2001Google Scholar
- 7.Albrecht R. Schmidt, Florian Waas, Martin L. Kersten, Daniela Florescu, Ioana Manolescu, Michael J. Carey, and Ralph Busse. The XML Benchmark Project. Technical Report INS-R0103, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 2001Google Scholar