Towards Ontology Based Cognitive Vision
Building knowledge bases for knowledge-based vision systems is a difficult task. This paper aims at showing how an ontology composed of visual concepts can be used as a guide for describing objects from a specific domain of interest. One of the most important benefits of our approach is that the knowledge acquisition process guided by the ontology leads to a knowledge base closer to low-level vision. A visual concept ontology and a dedicated knowledge acquisition tool have been developed and are also presented. We propose a generic methodology that is not linked to any application domain. Nevertheless, an example shows how the knowledge acquisition model can be applied to the description of pollen grain images. The use of an ontology for image description is the first step towards a complete cognitive vision system that will involve a learning layer.
Keywordscognitive vision ontological engineering knowledge-based vision systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Matsuyama, T., Hwang, V.S.: SIGMA — A Knowledge-Based Aerial Image Understanding System. Plenum Press New York USA (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Thonnat, M., Bijaoui., A.: Knowledge-based galaxy classification systems. Knowledge-based systems in astronomy, Lecture Notes in Physics. 329 (1989)Google Scholar
- 4.Soo, V.W., Lee, C.Y., Yeh, J.J., chih Chen, C.: Using sharable ontology to retrieve historical images. In: Proceeding of the second ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries, ACM Press (2002) 197–198Google Scholar
- 5.Gruber, T.R.: Towards Principles for the Design of Ontologies Used for Knowledge Sharing. In Guarino, N., Poli, R., eds.: Formal Ontology in Conceptual Analysis and Knowledge Representation, Deventer, The Netherlands, Kluwer Academic Publishers (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Gandon, F.: Ontology engineering: A survey and a return on experience. Technical Report 4396, INRIA (2002) http://www.inria.fr/rrrt/rr-4396.html.
- 7.Blazquez, M., Fernandez, M., Garcia-Pinar, J., Gómez-Pérez, A.: Building ontologies at the knowledge level using the ontology design environment. In: KAW98. (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Moller, R., Neumann, B., Wessel, M.: Towards computer vision with description logics: some recent progress. In: Proc. Integration of Speech and Image Understanding. (1999)Google Scholar