Query Expansion Based on Thesaurus Relations: Evaluation over Internet
In this work we present a heuristic for query expansion and its evaluation with information retrieval over the Internet. We obtained the precision and recall measures for the top-50 documents from 13 different queries. For those we had good results on estimated recall and F-measure values indicating that query expansion is a reasonable technique when few documents are retrieved.
KeywordsRelevant Document Query Expansion Semantic Distance Original Query Recall Measure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. V. Gasperin. ExtraÇão automática de relaÇões semânticas a partir de relaÇões sintáticas. Master’s thesis, PPGCC, FACIN, PUCRS, Novembro 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Gelbukh. Lazy query enrichment: A simple method of indexing large specialized document bases. In 11th International Conference and Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications, Greenwich, September 2000. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Grefenstette. Explorations in automatic thesaurus discovery. Kluwer Academic Publishers, EUA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.E. Hoenkamp and H. V. Vugt. The influence of recall feedback in information retrieval on user satisfaction and user behavior. In 23rd Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, pages 423–428, 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.L. A. S. Pizzato. Estrutura multitesauro para recuperaÇão de informaÇões. Master’s thesis, PPGCC, FACIN, PUCRS, Janeiro 2003.Google Scholar
- 7.L. A. S. Pizzato and V. L. Strube de Lima. Desenvolvimento e avaliaÇão de uma estrutura multitesauro para a recuperaÇão de informaÇões. In XXVIII Latin-American Conference on Informatics (CLEI 2002), Montevidéo, Uruguay, 2002.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Robin and F. S. Ramalho. Empirically evaluating WordNet-based query expansion in a web search engine setting. In IR’2001, Oulu, Finland, Setembro 2001.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Tudhope, H. Alani, and C. Jones. Augmenting thesaurus relationships: Possibilities for retrieval. Journal of Digital Information, 1(8), Fevereiro 2001.Google Scholar