Experiments in Distributed Control for Modular Robots
Effective algorithms for modular self-reconfiguring robots should be distributed and parallel. In previous work, we explored general algorithms for locomotion and self-replication and explained their instantiations to systems in which modules move over the surface of the robot. In this work, we present several algorithms and implementations applied to the Crystal robot: distributed locomotion algorithms designed specifically for unit-compressible actuation, as well as adaptation of a generic division algorithm to the Crystal robot. We also present the integration of a locomotion algorithm with a distributed goal recognition algorithm developed previously.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Z. Butler, S. Byrnes, and D. Rus. Distributed motion planning for modular robots with unit-compressible modules. In Proc. of the IntŠl Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.Z. Butler, K. Kotay, D. Rus, and K. Tomita. Generic decentralized control for a class of self-reconfigurable robots. In Proc. of IEEE ICRA, 2002.Google Scholar
- 3.Z. Butler, S. Murata, and D. Rus. Distributed replication algorithms for selfreconfiguring modular robots. In DARS 5, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Fukuda and Y. Kawakuchi. Cellular robotic system (CEBOT) as one of the realization of self-organizing intelligent universal manipulator. In Proc. of IEEE ICRA, pages 6627, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Hosokawa, T. Tsujimori, T. Fujii, H. Kaetsu, H. Asama, Y. Koruda, and I. Endo. Self-organizing collective robots with morphogenesis in a vertical plane. In Proc. of IEEE ICRA, pages 285863, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Murata, E. Yoshida, K. Tomita, H. Kurokawa, A. Kamimura, and S. Kokaji. Hardware design of modular robotic system. In Proc. of the IntŠl Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pages 22107, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Pamecha, C-J. Chiang, D. Stein, and G. Chirikjian. Design and implementation of metamorphic robots. In Proc. of the 1996 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conf. and Computers in Engineering Conf., 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Rus and M. Vona. Crystalline robots: Self-reconfiguration with unitcompressible modules. Autonomous Robots, 10(1):10724, 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.W.-M. Shen, P. Will, and A. Castano. Robot modularity for self-reconfiguration. In SPIE Conf. on Sensor Fusion and Decentralized Control in Robotic Systems 2, 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Stoy, W.-M. Shen, and P. Will. Global locomotion from local interaction in self-reconfigurable robots. In Proc. of IAS-7, 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.K. Tomita, S. Murata, H. Kurokawa, E. Yoshida, and S. Kokaji. Self-assembly and self-repair method for a distributed mechanical system. IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, 15(6): 103545, Dec. 1999.Google Scholar
- 13.Cem Unsal and Pradeep Khosla. Mechatronic design of a modular selfreconfiguring robotic system. In Proc. of IEEE ICRA, pages 17427, 2000.Google Scholar
- 14.S. Vassilvitskii, M. Yim, and J. Suh. A complete, local and parallel reconfiguration algorithm for cube style modular robots. In Proc. of IEEE ICRA, 2002.Google Scholar