Graphs, They Are Changing
In this paper we present a generic algorithm for drawing sequences of graphs. This algorithm works for different layout algorithms and related metrics and adjustment strategies. It differs from previous work on dynamic graph drawing in that it considers all graphs in the sequence (offline) instead of just the previous ones (online) when computing the layout for each graph of the sequence. We introduce several general adjustment strategies and give examples of these strategies in the context of force-directed graph layout. Finally some results from our first prototype implementation are discussed.
- 1.U. Brandes and D. Wagner. A Bayesian paradigm for dynamic graph layout. In Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 97), volume 1353 of Lecture Notes Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.Ulrik Brandes. Drawing on physical analogies. In Drawing Graphs . 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.Jürgen Branke. Dynamic graph drawing. In Drawing Graphs . 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Bridgeman and R. Tamassia. Difference metrics for interactive orthogonal graph drawing algorithms. In Proceedings of 6th International Symposium on Graph Drawing GD’98. Springer LNCS 1457, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.R.F. Cohen, G. Di Battista, R. Tamassia, and I.G. Tollis. Dynamic graph drawings: Trees, series-parallel digraphs, and st-digraphs. SIAM Journal on Computing, 24(5), 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Diehl, C. Görg, and A. Kerren. Foresighted Graphlayout. Technical Report A/02/2000, FR 6.2-Informatik, University of Saarland, December 2000. http://www.cs.uni-sb.de/tr/FB14.
- 7.Stephan Diehl, Carsten Görg, and Andreas Kerren. Preserving the Mental Map using Foresighted Layout. In Proceedings of Joint Eurographics-IEEE TCVG Symposium on Visualization VisSym’01. Springer Verlag, 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Eades. A heuristic for graph drawing. Congressus Numerantium, 42, 1984.Google Scholar
- 10.M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson. Computers and Intractability. A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. Freeman and Company, 1979.Google Scholar
- 12.K.A. Lyons, H. Meijer, and D. Rappaport. Cluster busting in anchored graph drawing. Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, 2(1), 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.A. Papakostas and I.G. Tollis. Interactive orthogonal graph drawing. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 47(11), 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.H.C. Purchase, R.F. Cohen, and M. James. Validating graph drawing aesthetics. In F. J. Brandenburg, editor, Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 95), volume 1027 of Lecture Notes Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.G. Sander. Visualization Techniques for Compiler Construction. Dissertation (in german), University of Saarland, Saarbrücken (Germany), 1996.Google Scholar