A Comparison of Electoral Formulae for the Faroese Parliament
The Faroese electoral system uses a method of proportional representation for distributing the seats in the Faroese Parliament (The Løgting). The electoral formulae attempt to give each political party a number of seats that is close to its vote share. In addition, each district should receive a number of delegates that is proportional to the number of voters in the district. We show that the current electoral formula has significant weaknesses, and propose 7 alternative electoral formulae which consider various subsets of constraints — such as lower bounds on the number of seats in districts and electoral thresholds. Numerical simulations with the current and proposed electoral formulae on the elections from 1978 to 2004, and on randomly generated election results, are presented. The results show that some of the proposed alternatives clearly are superior to the current electoral formula with respect to well-known quality measures.
KeywordsElectoral formula apportionment method proportional representation multimember districts biproportional rounding numerical simulations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balinski, M. L., 2002. Wahlen in Mexico — Verhältniswahlrecht häappchenweise, Spektrum der Wissenschaft, Oktober, 72–74.Google Scholar
- Balinski, M. L., and Young, H. P., 2001. Fair representation: Meeting the ideal of one man, one vote. Brookings Institution Press, 2nd edition.Google Scholar
- Cox, L. H., and Ernst, L. R., 1982. Controlled rounding. INFOR 20(4), 423–432.Google Scholar
- Hylland, A., 1990. Lagtinget pa Færøerne: Beskrivelse av og kommentarer til valgordningen. Handelshøyskolen BI.Google Scholar
- Maier, S., 2006. Algorithms for Biproportional Apportionment Methods. In Mathematics and Democracy. Recent Advances in Voting Systems and Collective Choice, In Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Pukelsheim F., and Schuhmacher, C., 2004. Das neue Zürcher Zuteilungsverfahren für Parlamentswahlen. Aktuelle Juristische Praxis — Practique Juridique Actuelle 5/2004, 505–522.Google Scholar
- Zachariasen, M., 2006. Algorithmic Aspects of Divisor-Based Biproportional Rounding. Technical Report 06-05, Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Zachariassen, P., 2005. Uppgerð av løgtingsvali — eitt sindur um bygnað og virknað [in Faroese]. Ársfrágreiðing 2004, Fróðskaparsetur Føroya.Google Scholar
- Zachariassen, P., and Zachariassen, M., 2005. A comparison of electoral formulae for the Faroese Parliament (The Løgting) [in Faroese]. Technical report NVD-rit 2005:1, NáttúruvÍsindadeildin, Fróðskaparsetur Føroya.Google Scholar