Resonance- and Chaos-Assisted Tunneling
We consider dynamical tunneling between two symmetry-related regular islands that are separated in phase space by a chaotic sea. Such tunneling processes are dominantly governed by nonlinear resonances, which induce a coupling mechanism between “regular” quantum states within and “chaotic” states outside the islands. By means of a random matrix ansatz for the chaotic part of the Hamiltonian, one can show that the corresponding coupling matrix element directly determines the level splitting between the symmetric and the antisymmetric eigenstates of the pair of islands. We show in detail how this matrix element can be expressed in terms of elementary classical quantities that are associated with the resonance. The validity of this theory is demonstrated with the kicked Harper model.
KeywordsPhase Space Tunneling Process Tunneling Rate Nonlinear Resonance Classical Phase Space
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.S. Creagh, in Tunneling in Complex Systems, edited by S. Tomsovic (World Scientific, Singapore, 1998), p. 1.Google Scholar
- 5.L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz, Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory (Pergamon, Oxford, 1958).Google Scholar
- 6.This assumes, of course, that the double well potential V is analytic.Google Scholar
- 7.V.P. Maslov and M.V. Fedoriuk, Semiclassical Approximations in Quantum Mechanics (Reidel, Dordrecht, 1981).Google Scholar
- 48.S. Keshavamurthy, nlin.CD/0505020 (2005).Google Scholar
- 53.http://www.swox.com/gmp/.Google Scholar
- 54.Due to the internal symmetries of the kicked Harper, all r:s resonances with relative prime r, s and r being a multiple of 4 have 2r instead of r islands. To be consistent with (7.19), we name them 2r:2s resonances.Google Scholar
- 60.In the numerical evaluation of the expression (7.28), we took care that the admixture of the (rl)th excited state to the ground state may not exceed the upper limit 1, for all l = 1... (k − 1). The prominent peak at N ⋍ 500 in the lower panel of Fig. 7.5 is therefore rounded.Google Scholar
- 61.It should be noted that the annular billiard is exceptionally nongeneric insofar as it exhibits a coexistence of an exactly integrable dynamics in the regular islands with a mixed dynamics in the chaotic sea. Nonlinear classical resonances do therefore not at all manifest within the islands, which means that the central mechanism leading to dynamical tunneling between the islands might be completely different from the generic case.Google Scholar
- 62.S. Wimberger, P. Schlagheck, C. Eltschka, and A. Buchleitner, in preparation.Google Scholar