Creating Reliable Database for Experiments on Extracting Emotions from Music
Emotions can be expressed in various ways. Music is one of possible media to express emotions. However, perception of music depends on many aspects and is very subjective. This paper focuses on collecting and labelling data for further experiments on discovering emotions in music audio files. The database of more than 300 songs was created and the data were labelled with adjectives. The whole collection represents 13 more detailed or 6 more general classes, covering diverse moods, feelings and emotions expressed in the gathered music pieces.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fujinaga, I., McMillan, K. (2000) Realtime recognition of orchestral instruments. Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, 141–143Google Scholar
- 3.Jackson, W. H. (1998) Cross-Cultural Perception and Structure of Music. On-line, available at http://internet.cybermesa.com/bjackson/Papers/xcmusic.htmGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kostek, B, Wieczorkowska, A. (1997) Parametric Representation Of Musical Sounds. Archives of Acoustics 22,1, 3–26Google Scholar
- 5.Li, T., Ogihara, M. (2003) Detecting emotion in music, in 4th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval ISMIR 2003, Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, Maryland. Available at http://ismir2003.ismir.net/papers/Li.PDFGoogle Scholar
- 6.Marasek, K. (2004) Private communicationGoogle Scholar
- 7.Pollard, H. F., Jansson, E. V. (1982) A Tristimulus Method for the Specification of Musical Timbre. Acustica 51, 162–171Google Scholar
- 9.Sloboda, J. (1996) Music and the Emotions. British Association Festival of Science, The Psychology of MusicGoogle Scholar
- 10.Smith, H., Ike, S. (2004) Are Emotions Cros-Culturally Intersubjective? A Japanese Test. 21 Centure COE “Cultural and Ecological Foundations of the Mind”, Hokkaido University. The Internet: http://lynx.let.hokudai.ac.jp/COE21/Google Scholar
- 11.Tato, R., Santos, R., Kompe, R., and Pardo, J. M. (2002) Emotional Space Improves Emotion Recognition. 7th International Conference on Spoken Language Processing ICSLP 2002, Denver, Colorado, available at http://lorien.die.upm.es/partners/sony/ICSLP2002.PDFGoogle Scholar
- 13.Wieczorkowska, A. (2004) Towards Extracting Emotions from Music. International Workshop on Intelligent Media Technology for Communicative Intelligence, Warsaw, Poland, PJIIT-Publishing House, 181–183Google Scholar
- 15.Wieczorkowska, A., Synak, P., Lewis, R., and Ras, Z. (2005) Extracting Emotions from Music Data. 15th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems ISMIS 2005, Saratoga Sprins, NY, USAGoogle Scholar