Micro Flow Simulation Using Kinetic and Continuum Approaches
Computational method based on a kinetic model Boltzmann equation has been developed for micro scale low speed flows. Navier-Stokes method with the first order slip boundary condition is also developed for comparison. The results obtained with both the methods are compared with those of the direct simulation Monte Carlo method and experiments for supersonic flows. Numerical results for low speed flows over a micro circular cylinder and a micro sphere are also obtained with the methods, while it is difficult to obtain the low speed flow results with the direct simulation Monte Carlo method. Results of the Navier-Stokes equations with the slip boundary condition generally agree with those of the kinetic model Boltzmann equation if the Knudsen number is less than 0.1. A kinetic/continuum hybrid method has also been developed. The hybrid method may be a promising tool for analyzing whole flow regimes from free molecule to continuum flows.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bird, G.A., Molecular Gas Dynamics, Oxford University Press (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.Fan, J., Boyd, I.D., and Cai, C.P., Computation of Rarefied Gas Flows Around a NACA0012 Airfoil, AIAA Journal, 39-4 (2001), 618–625.Google Scholar
- 4.Morinishi, K. and Oguchi, H., A Computational Method and Its Application to Analyses of Rarefied Gas Flows, Proc. 14th International Symposium on Rarefied Gas Dynamics, University of Tokyo Press, 1 (1984), 149–158.Google Scholar
- 5.Oguchi, H., Morinishi, K., and Satofuka, N., Time-Dependent Approach to Kinetic Analyses of Two-dimensional Rarefied Gas Flows, Proc. 13th International Symposium on Rarefied Gas Dynamics, Plenum Publishing Corporation, 1 (1985), 293–302.Google Scholar
- 7.Morinishi, K. and Satofuka, N., Parallel Implementation of the Boltzmann Equation Solvers Using PVM, Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics, Elsevier, (1995) 339–346.Google Scholar
- 10.Morinishi, K., Parallel Computation of Gridless Type Solver for Unsteady Flow Problems, Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics, Elsevier, (2002) 275–284.Google Scholar
- 11.Morinishi, K., Parallel Computation of Higher Order Gridless Type Solver, Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics, Elsevier, (2003) 427–434.Google Scholar
- 15.Barber, R.W. and Emerson, D.R., Analytical Solution of Low Reynolds Number Slip FLow Past a Sphere, CLRC Technical Report, DL-TR-00-001 (2000).Google Scholar