Collecting Duct Carcinoma
Collecting duct carcinoma is an aggressive subtype of RCC derived from the renal medulla. The tumor occurs in a wide age range, predominately in men. The usual histologic pattern is that of a tubular or tubulopapillary carcinoma with a desmoplastic stroma. Imaging features suggestive of this diagnosis include a medullary origin and an infiltrative growth pattern. This type of cancer is associated with an extremely poor prognosis. At presentation CDC is metastatic to regional lymph nodes. The characteristic location, typical histologic and radiologic appearance, and reportedly poor prognosis differentiate CDC from the more common RCC. Death usually occurs within 2 years. Various treatments have been proposed but with disappointing results, including radiation therapy, immunotherapy and some combinations of chemotherapy.
KeywordsRenal Cell Carcinoma Renal Medulla Sickle Cell Trait Chromophobe Renal Cell Carcinoma Renal Sinus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gallob JA, Upton MP, DeWolf WC et al. (2001) Long-term remission in a patient with metastatic collecting duct carcinoma treated with taxol/carboplatin and surgery. Urology 58:1058i–1058iiiGoogle Scholar
- Gong Y, Sun X, Haines GK et al. (2003) Renal cell carcinoma, chromophobe type, with collecting duct carcinoma and sarcomatoid components. Arch Pathol Lab Med 27:e38–e40Google Scholar
- Levine E, King BF (2000) Adult malignant renal parenchymal neoplasms. In: Pollack HM, McClennan BL (eds) Clinical urology. Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 1440–1559Google Scholar
- Milowski MI, Rosmarin A, Tickoo SK et al. (2002) Active chemotherapy for collecting duct carcinoma of the kidney. A case report and review of the literature. Cancer 94:111–116Google Scholar
- Peyromaure M, Thiounn N, Scotte F et al. (2002) Collecting duct carcinomas of the kidney: a clinicopathological study of 9 cases. J Urol 170:1138–1140Google Scholar
- Pickhardt PJ, Siegel CL, McLarney JK (2001) Collecting duct carcinoma of the kidney: Are imaging findings suggestive of the diagnosis? Am J Roentgenol 176:627–633Google Scholar