On Application of a Certain Classification Procedure to Mean Value Estimation Under Double Sampling for Nonresponse
One of the techniques commonly used to reduce nonresponse bias is the two-phase sampling scheme. According to this scheme, when deterministic non-response appears, estimates of respondent and nonrespondent stratum means are weighted by sample respondent and nonrespondent fractions which estimate unknown shares of both strata in the whole population. In this paper, an alternative method of estimating these shares by using auxiliary information is considered and the application of the Ho-Kashyap (1965) classification procedure to mean value estimation is discussed. Some simulation results are presented.
KeywordsAuxiliary Variable Standard Estimator Classification Procedure Auxiliary Information Population Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DUDA, R.O., HART, P.E., and STORK, D.G. (2001): Pattern Classification. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- GAMROT, W. (2002): On Application of Some Discrimination Methods to Mean Value Estimation in the Presence of Nonresponse. In: J. Wywial (Ed.): Metoda reprezentacyjna w Badaniach Ekonomiczno-Spoiecznych, Katowice, 37–50.Google Scholar
- HO, Y.C. and KASHYAP, R.L. (1965): An algorithm for linear inequalities and its applications. IEEE Transactions on Electronic Computers, 14, 683–688.Google Scholar
- JAJUGA, K. (1990): Statystyczna teoria rozpoznawania obrazów. PWN, Warszawa.Google Scholar
- SÄRNDAL, C.E., SWENSSON, B., and WRETMAN, J. (1997): Model Assisted Survey Sampling. Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- WYWIAL, J. (2001): On Estimation of Population Mean in the Case When Non-respondents Are Present. Prace Naukowe AE Wroclaw, 8, 906, 13–21.Google Scholar