How Should We Move the Field of Chemopreventive Agent Development Forward in a Productive Manner?
Epidemiologic observations and preclinical experimental investigations suggest that the prevention or reversal of precancers should be an effective strategy in humans to control cancer. Although “proof of principle” has been established in humans, the results of randomized trials have not been confirmatory in most cases. Toxicity in normal or near-normal populations has also been greater than anticipated. We examine the problems associated with testing chemoprevention agents in humans and offer a process and guidelines that may better inform the logical development of this relatively young clinical field.
KeywordsNatl Cancer Inst Colorectal Adenoma Chemopreventive Agent Epidemiologic Observation Chemoprevention Trial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baron JA, Cole BF, Sandler RS, Haile RW, Ahnen D, Bresalier R, McKeown-Eyssen G, Summers RW, Rothstein R, Burke CA, Snover DC, Church TR, Allen JI, Beach M, Beck GJ, Bond JH, Byers T, Greenberg ER, Mandel JS, Marcon N, Mott LA, Pearson L, Saibil F, van Stolk RU (2003) A randomized trial of aspirin to prevent colorectal adenomas. N Engl J Med 348:891–899PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fisher B, Costantino JP, Wickerham DL, Redmond CD, Kavanah M, Cronin WM, Vogel V, Robidoux A, Dimitrov N, Atkins J, Daly M, Wieand S, Tan-Chiu E, Ford L, Wolmark N (1998) Tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer: report of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 Study. J Natl Cancer Inst 90:1371–1388PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lippman SM, Lee JJ, Karp DD, Vokes EE, Benner SE, Goodman GE, Khuri FR, Marks R, Winn RJ, Fry W, Graziano SL, Gandara DR, Okawara G, Woodhouse CL, Williams B, Perez C, Kim HW, Lotan R, Roth JA, Hong WK (2001) Randomized phase III intergroup trial of isotretinoin to prevent second primary tumors in stage I non-small-cell lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 93:605–618PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Meyskens FL Jr (1992a) Biology and intervention of the premalignant process. Cancer Bull 43:475–480Google Scholar
- Meyskens FL Jr (1998) Chemoprevention of cancer: a reasonable strategy? Recent Results Cancer Res 151:113–121Google Scholar
- Meyskens FL Jr (2000c) Criteria for implementation of large and multiagent clinical chemoprevention trials. J Cell Biol 34:115–120Google Scholar
- Meyskens FL Jr (2001) Development of difluoromethylornithine and Bowman-Birk inhibitor as chemoprevention agents by assessment of relevant biomarker modulation: some lessons learned. In: Miller B, Bartsch H, Buffeta P, Dragsted L, Varinco H (eds) Biomarkers in Cancer Prevention. IARC Publications, Lyon, pp 49–56Google Scholar
- Thompson IM, Goodman PJ, Tangen CM, Lucia MS, Miller GJ, Ford LG, Lieber MM, Cespedes RD, Atkins JN, Lippman SM, Carlin SM, Ryan A, Szczepanek CM, Crowley JJ, Coltman CA Jr (2003) The influence of finasteride on the development of prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 349:215–224PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Viner JL, Umar A, Hawk ET (2002) Chemoprevention of colorectal cancer: problems, progress, and prospects. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 3:971–999Google Scholar