A Valuation of the Reliability of a GIS Based on the Fuzzy Logic in a Concrete Case Study
The great difficulty of evaluating the quality of the applications concerning environmental problems, mainly for the heterogeneity of input data and their indeterminateness in the error estimations, is a well known problem. The usage of the Fuzzy Logic can be adequate in the treatment of this kind of information, especially when using approximate linguistic labels to define the input data. We have applied this idea in a previous work and here proposed for the study of a GIS of the PROCIDA island (located near Napoli), realized with technology of the Environmental Systems Research Institute and implemented by means of a software tool called FUZZY-SRA.
KeywordsFuzzy Logic Fuzzy Number Contour Line Linguistic Label Environmental System Research Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bardossy A, Duckstein L (1995) Fuzzy Rule-Based Modelling with Applications to Geophysical, Biological and Engineering Systems, CRC Press, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Di Martino F, Loia V, Sessa S (to appear) A Fuzzy-Based Tool for Modelization and Analysis of the Vulnerability of Aquifers: a case study, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning..Google Scholar
- E.S.R.I. (1994) ARC/INFO Data Management: Concepts, Data Models, Database Design and Storage., Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc., Redlands.Google Scholar
- E.S.R.I. (1996) Arcview GIS: The Geographic Information System for Everyone, Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc., Redlands.Google Scholar
- E.S.R.I. (1997) Understanding GIS: The ARC/INFO Method, Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. Redlands.Google Scholar
- E.S.R.I. (2001) MapObjects GIS and Mapping Components, Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc., Redlands (California).Google Scholar
- Gisolfi A, Loia V (1995) A Complete, Flexible Fuzzy-Based Approach to the Classification Problem, Internat. J. Approx. Reasoning 13:151–183.Google Scholar
- Kaufmann A, Gupta MM (1985) Fuzzy Mathematical Model in Engineering and Management Science, North Holland, Amsterdam (1985).Google Scholar
- Mansur, JM (1995) Fuzzy Sets and Economics: Applications of Fuzzy Mathematics to Non-Cooperative Holigopoly, Edward Elgar, London.Google Scholar
- Nielsen DM (ed.) (1991) Practical Handbook of Ground-Water Monitoring, Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Ward AD, Elliot WJ (eds.) (1995) Environmental Hydrology, Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton.Google Scholar