Algebraic Analysis of Schwarz Methods for Singular Systems
During the last few years, an algebraic formulation of Schwarz methods was developed. In this paper this algebraic formulation is used to prove new convergence results for multiplicative Schwarz methods when applied to consistent singular systems of linear equations. Coarse grid corrections are also studied. In particular, these results are applied to the numerical solutions of Markov chains.
KeywordsSingular System Domain Decomposition Method Stochastic Matrix Algebraic Formulation Nonnegative Matrice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Berman and R. J. Plemmons. Nonnegative Matrices in the Mathematical Sciences. Academic Press, New York, third edition, 1979. Reprinted by SIAM, Philadelphia, 1994.Google Scholar
- I. S. Duff and J. K. Reid. An implementation of tarjan's algorithm for the block triangularization of a matrix. ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, 4:337–147, 1978.Google Scholar
- F. R. Gantmacher. Application of the Theory of Matrices. Interscience, New York, 1959.Google Scholar
- I. Marek and D. B. Szyld. Algebraic Schwarz methods for the numerical solution of Markov chains. Linear Algebra and its Applications, 2004. To appear.Google Scholar
- A. Quarteroni and A. Valli. Domain Decomposition Methods for Partial Differential Equations. Oxford Science Publications, 1999.Google Scholar
- B. F. Smith, P. E. Bjøstad, and W. Gropp. Domain Decomposition: Parallel Multilevel Methods for Elliptic Partial Differential Equations. Cambridge University Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- R. S. Varga. Matrix Iterative Analysis. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1962. Second Edition, Springer, Berlin, 2000.Google Scholar