Balancing Neumann-Neumann Methods for Elliptic Optimal Control Problems
We present Neumann-Neumann domain decomposition preconditioners for the solution of elliptic linear quadratic optimal control problems. The preconditioner is applied to the optimality system. A Schur complement formulation is derived that reformulates the original optimality system as a system in the state and adjoint variables restricted to the subdomain boundaries. The application of the Schur complement matrix requires the solution of subdomain optimal control problems with Dirichlet boundary conditions on the subdomain interfaces. The application of the inverses of the subdomain Schur complement matrices require the solution of subdomain optimal control problems with Neumann boundary conditions on the subdomain interfaces. Numerical tests show that the dependence of this preconditioner on mesh size and subdomain size is comparable to its counterpart applied to elliptic equations only.
KeywordsOptimal Control Problem Domain Decomposition Sequential Quadratic Programming Domain Decomposition Method Saddle Point Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Battermann and E. W. Sachs. Block preconditioners for KKT systems in PDE-governed optimal control problems. In K.-H. Hoffmann, R. H. W. Hoppe, and V. Schulz, editors, Fast solution of discretized optimization problems (Berlin, 2000), pages 1–18, Basel, 2001. Birkhäuser.Google Scholar
- G. Biros and O. Ghattas. Parallel Lagrange-Newton-Krylov-Schur methods for PDE-constrained optimization. Part I: The Krylov-Schur solver. Technical report, Carnegie Mellon University, 2000.Google Scholar
- A. Bounaim. A Lagrangian approach to a DDM for an optimal control problem. In P. Bjørstad, M. Espedal, and D. Keyes, editors, DD9 Proceedings, pages 283–289, Bergen, Norway, 1998. Domain Decomposition Press.Google Scholar
- J. E. Dennis and R. M. Lewis. A comparison of nonlinear programming approaches to an elliptic inverse problem and a new domain decomposition approach. Technical Report TR94-33, CAAM Dept., Rice University, 1994.Google Scholar
- M. Heinkenschloss and H. Nguyen. Neumann-Neumann domain decomposition preconditioners for linear quadratic elliptic optimal control problems. Technical Report TR04-01, Department of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Rice University, 2004.Google Scholar
- J.-L. Lions. Optimal Control of Systems Governed by Partial Differential Equations. Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- B. Smith, P. Bjørstad, and W. Gropp. Domain Decomposition. Parallel Multilevel Methods for Elliptic Partial Differential Equations. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, London, New York, 1996.Google Scholar