On Scalable Algorithms for Numerical Solution of Variational Inequalities Based on FETI and Semi-monotonic Augmented Lagrangians
Theoretical and experimental results concerning a new FETI based algorithm for numerical solution of variational inequalities are reviewed. A discretized model problem is first reduced by the duality theory of convex optimization to the quadratic programming problem with bound and equality constraints. The latter is then optionally modified by means of orthogonal projectors to the natural coarse space introduced by Farhat and Roux in the framework of their FETI method. The resulting problem is then solved by a new variant of the augmented Lagrangian type algorithm with the inner loop for the solution of bound constrained quadratic programming problems. Recent theoretical results are reported that guarantee scalability of the algorithm. The results are confirmed by numerical experiments.
KeywordsVariational Inequality Contact Problem Domain Decomposition Multigrid Method Quadratic Programming Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Z. Dostál. Inexact semi-monotonic augmented Lagrangians with optimal feasibility convergence for quadratic programming with simple bounds and equality constraints. submitted to SIAM J. Num. Anal., 2003.Google Scholar
- Z. Dostál and D. Horák. Scalable FETI with optimal dual penalty for a variational inequality. to appear in Num. Lin. Alg. and Appl., 2003b.Google Scholar
- Z. Dostál and J. Schoeberl. Minimizing quadratic functions subject to bound constraints with the rate of convergence and finite termination. to appear in Comput. Optimiz. and Appl., 2004.Google Scholar
- C. Farhat and D. Dureisseix. A numerically scalable domain dec. meth. for solution of frictionless contact problems. to appear in Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng., 2002.Google Scholar
- I. Hlaváček, J. Haslinger, J. Nečas, and J. Lovíšek. Solution of Variational Inequalities in Mechanics. Springer Verlag Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- J. Mandel. Étude algébrique d'une méthode multigrille pour quelques problèmes de frontière libre. Compt. Rendus de l'Acad. des Scien., pages 469–472, 1984.Google Scholar
- J. Schoeberl. Efficient contact solvers based on domain decomposition techniques. Comput. and Math., 42:1217–1228, 1998a.Google Scholar
- B. Wohlmuth and R. Krause. Monotone methods on nonmatching grids for nonlinear contact problems. Technical report, 2002. Research Report No. 2002/02 of the Stuttgart University, Sonderforsungsbereich 404.Google Scholar