A New Cement to Glue Nonconforming Grids with Robin Interface Conditions: The Finite Element Case
We present and analyze a new nonconforming domain decomposition method based on a Schwarz method with Robin transmission conditions. We prove that the method is well posed and convergent. Our error analysis is valid in two dimensions for piecewise polynomials of low and high order and also in three dimensions for P1 elements. We further present an efficient algorithm in two dimensions to perform the required projections between arbitrary grids. We finally illustrate the new method with numerical results.
KeywordsInterface Condition Domain Decomposition Method Piecewise Polynomial Schwarz Method Waveform Relaxation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. B. Belgacem and Y. Maday. The mortar element method for three dimensional finite elements. RAIRO Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis, 31(2):289–302, 1997.Google Scholar
- C. Bernardi, Y. Maday, and A. T. Patera. A new non conforming approach to domain decomposition: The mortar element method. In H. Brezis and J.-L. Lions, editors, Collège de France Seminar. Pitman, 1994. This paper appeared as a technical report about five years earlier.Google Scholar
- P. Chevalier and F. Nataf. Symmetrized method with optimized second-order conditions for the Helmholtz equation. In Domain decomposition methods, 10 (Boulder, CO, 1997), pages 400–407. Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1998.Google Scholar
- B. Després. Domain decomposition method and the helmholtz problem. In SIAM, editor, Mathematical and Numerical aspects of wave propagation phenomena, pages 44–52. Philadelphia PA, 1991.Google Scholar
- M. J. Gander, L. Halpern, and F. Nataf. Optimal Schwarz waveform relaxation for the one dimensional wave equation. Technical Report 469, CMAP, Ecole Polytechnique, September 2001.Google Scholar
- C. Japhet. Optimized Krylov-Ventcell method. Application to convection-diffusion problems. In P. E. Bjørstad, M. S. Espedal, and D. E. Keyes, editors, Proceedings of the 9th international conference on domain decomposition methods, pages 382–389. ddm.org, 1998.Google Scholar
- C. Japhet, Y. Maday, and F. Nataf. A new cement to glue nonconforming grids with robin interface conditions: The finite element case. to be submitted, 2003.Google Scholar
- F. Nataf, F. Rogier, and E. de Sturler. Domain decomposition methods for fluid dynamics, Navier-Stokes equations and related nonlinear analysis. Edited by A. Sequeira, Plenum Press Corporation, pages 367–376, 1995.Google Scholar