Applications of CODE-BRIGHT to thermal-hydro-mechanical experiments on clays
The computer code CODE-BRIGHT has been applied to simulate thermal-hydro-mechanical (THM) experiments on clays being considered as host rock and as buffer/backfill for the disposal of radioactive wastes. In this paper, two modelling exercises will be presented: (1) prediction of the hydration of bentonite, and (2) scoping calculation of large-scale heating tests to be performed with a bentonite-filled clay cylinder in order to study coupled THM processes taking place in the near-field of heat-generating wastes in drifts and boreholes. The results suggest that the coupled THM phenomena observed in the laboratory can be well represented and interpreted by numerical simulation with the code.
KeywordsRadioactive Waste Heating Test WKLV SDSHU Clay Cylinder Heater Buffer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alonso, E.E.; Lloret, A.; Delahaye, C.H.; Vaunat, J.; Gens, A.; Volckaert, G. (2000): Coupled analysis of a Backfill Hydration Test. International Journal for numerical and analytical methods in geomechanics, Vol. 22 (1998), 22–27.Google Scholar
- Alonso, E.E. and Alcoverro, J. (2000): Calculation and testing of the behaviour of unsaturated clay as a barrier in radioactive waste repositories (’Catsius clay’ project). Final report, EUR 19141 EN.Google Scholar
- Huertas, F.; Fuentes-Cantillana, J.L.; Fullien, F.; Rivas, P.; Linares, J.; Farina, P.; Ghoreychi, M.; Jockwer, N.; Kickmaier, W.; Martinez, M.A.; Samper, J.; Alonso, E.; Elorza, F.J. (2000): Full-scale engineered barriers experiment for a deep geological repository for high-level radioactive waste in crystalline host rock (FEBEX project). Final report, EUR 19147 EN.Google Scholar
- Kröhn, K.-P. (2003): Results and interpretation of bentonite resaturation experiments with liquid water and water vapour. ISSMGE International Conference from Experimental Evidence towards Numerical Modelling of Unsaturated Soils, September 18-19, 2003, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.Google Scholar
- UPC (2002): CODE BRIGHT, A 3-D program for thermo-hydro-mechanical analysis in geological media, USER’s GUIDE. 2002.Google Scholar
- Volckaert, G.; Bernier, F.; Alonso, E.; Gens, A.; Samper, J.; Villar, M.; Martin-Martin, P.L.; Cuevas, J.; Campos, R.; Thomas, H.; Imbert, C.; Zingarelli, V. (1996): Thermal-hydraulic-mechanical and geochemical behaviour of the clay barrier in radioactive waste repositories (model development and validation). Final report, EUR 16744 EN.Google Scholar
- Volckaert, G.; Dereeper, B.; Put, M.; Ortiz, L.; Gens, A.; Vaunat, J.; Villar, M.; Martin, P.L.; Imbert, C.; Lassabatere, T.; Mouche, E.; Cany, F. (2000): A large-scale in situ demonstration test for repository sealing in an argillaceous host rock, Reseal project — Phase I. Final report, EUR 19612 EN.Google Scholar