Exploring Novel Signatures in Direct Neutralino Searches
Since the expected rates for neutralino-nucleus scattering are expected to be small, one should exploit all the characteristic signatures of this reaction. Such are: (i) In the standard recoil measurements the modulation of the event rate due to the Earth’s motion. (ii) In directional recoil experiments the correlation of the event rate with the sun’s motion. One now has both modulation, which is much larger and depends not only on time, but on the direction of observation as well, and a large forward-backward asymmetry. (iii) In non recoil experiments gamma rays following the decay of excited states populated during the Nucleus-LSP collision. Branching ratios of about 6 percent are possible (iv) novel experiments in which one observes the electrons produced during the collision of the LSP with the nucleus. Branching ratios of about 10 per cent are possible.
KeywordsDark Matter Nuclear Recoil Coherent Process Spin Contribution Scalar Cross Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Hanary et al., Astrophys. J. 545, L5 (2000); J.H.P Wu et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 251303 (2001); M.G. Santos et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 241302 (2002) P.D. Mauskopf et al., Astrophys. J. 536, L59 (2002); S. Mosi et al., Prog. Nuc.Part. Phys. 48, 243 (2002); S.B. Ruhl al, astro-ph/0212229; N.W. Halverson et al., Astrophys. J. 568, 38 (2002); L.S. Sievers et al.,astro-ph/0205287; G.F. Smoot et al., (COBE data), Astrophys. J. 396, (1992) L1; A.H. Jaffe et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 3475 (2001); D.N. Spergel et al, astro-ph/0302209.CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 3.R. Bernabei et al., INFN/AE-98/34, (1998); Phys. Lett. B 389, 757 (1996); Phys. Lett. B 424, 195 (1998); B 450, 448 (1999).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Arnowitt and B. Dutta, Supersymmetry and Dark Matter, hep-ph/0204187;. E. Accomando, A. Arnowitt and B. Dutta, hep-ph/0211417.Google Scholar
- 9.J.D. Vergados, P. Quentin and D. Strottman, (to be published)Google Scholar
- 15.B. Morgan, A.M. Green and N. Spooner, astro-ph/0408047.Google Scholar
- 17.J.D. Vergados and H. Ejiri, hep-ph/0401151 (to be published).Google Scholar
- 19.J.D. Vergados, to appear in the idm04 proceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 20.Y. Giomataris and J.D. Vergados, Neutrinos in a spherical box, to appear in Nucl.Instr. Meth. (to be published) & hep-ex/0303045.Google Scholar