Assertional verification of a timer based protocol
We introduce a timer-based protocol skeleton for end-to-end data transport and connection management. The verification of the skeleton is done using a technique of system-wide invariants. To our knowledge, this is the first time this technique is applied to timer-based distributed algorithms. The approach is extended to handle the case of inaccurate timers. Thus, the contribution of this paper is not only a rigid correctness proof of a timer-based communication protocol, but also the extension of the proof method of system-wide invariants to a wider class of distributed algorithms.
Key Wordsend-to-end protocol protocol skeleton assertional proof time connection management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Be76]Belsnes, D., Single-Message Communication, IEEE Trans. Communications COM-24 (1976) 190–194.Google Scholar
- [CM88]Chandy, K.M., J. Misra, A Foundation of Parallel Program Design, Addison-Wesley Publ. Comp., Reading, Mass., 1988.Google Scholar
- [FW78]Fletcher, J.G., R.W. Watson, Mechanisms for a Reliable Timer-based Protocol, Computer Networks 2 (1978) 271–290.Google Scholar
- [Kr78]Krogdahl, S., Verification of a Class of Link-level Protocols, BIT 21 (1978) 436–488.Google Scholar
- [La82]Lamport, L., An Assertional Correctness Proof of a Distributed Algorithm, Science of Computer Programming 2 (1982) 175–206.Google Scholar
- [SL87]Shankar, A.U., S.S. Lam, Time-dependent Distributed Systems: Proving Safety, Liveness, and Real-time Properties, Distributed Computing 2 (1987) 61–79.Google Scholar
- [Sc87]Schoone, A.A., Verification of Connection Management Protocols, Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-87-14, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, 1987.Google Scholar
- [ST88]Schoone, A.A., G. Tel, Assertional Verification of a Termination Detection Algorithm, Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-88-6, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, 1988.Google Scholar
- [SvL85]Schoone, A.A., J. van Leeuwen, Verification of Balanced Link-level Protocols, Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-85-12, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Ta81]Tanenbaum, A., Computer Networks, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Te87]Tel, G., Assertional Verification of a Timer Based Protocol, Techn. Rep. RUU-CS-87-15, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Wa81]Watson, R.W., Timer-based Mechanisms in Reliable Transport Protocol Connection Management, Computer Networks 5 (1981) 47–56.Google Scholar