A weighted-output symbol-by-symbol decoding algorithm of binary convolutional codes
A weighted-output symbol-by-symbol soft-decision decoding algorithm for convolutional codes is described. Its main intended use concerns concatenation schemes. If a convolutional code is used as inner code, it makes soft-decision decoding of the outer code possible, which improves the overall error rate. This algorithm relies on Bayesian estimation. Its comparison with Battail algorithm using cross-entropy minimisation shows that the latter is a special case of the former.
KeywordsBayesian Estimation Convolutional Code Decode Algorithm Viterbi Algorithm Transmitted Symbol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. FORNEY, Concatenated codes. Cambridge, Mass.: M.I.T. Press, 1966.Google Scholar
- 2.G.W. ZEOLI, "Coupled decoding of block-convolutional concatenated codes," Ph.D. dissertation, Dep. Elec. Eng., Univ. California, Los Angeles, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.J.K. WOLF, "Efficient maximum likelihood decoding of linear block codes using a trellis," I.E.E.E. Trans. on I.T., Jan. 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.G. BATTAIL, "Décodage pondéré optimal des codes linéaires en blocs I," Annales des Télécommunications, Nov.-Déc. 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.C.R.P. HARTMANN and L.D. RUDOLPH, "An optimum Symbol-by-Symbol decoding rule for linear codes," I.E.E.E. Trans. on Inf. Theory, pp. 514–517, 1976.Google Scholar
- 6.G. BATTAIL et al., "Replication Decoding, I.E.E.E. Trans. on Inf. Theory, pp. 332–345, 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.L.D. RUDOLPH et al., "Algebraic Analog Decoding of linear binary codes," I.E.E.E. Trans. on Inf. Theory, pp. 430–440, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.G.D. FORNEY, "Generalized minimum distance," I.E.E.E. Trans. on Information TheoryGoogle Scholar
- 9.G. BATTAIL, "Weighting the symbols decoded by the Viterbi Algorithm," I.E.E.E. International Symposium on Information Theory, Oct. 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.G. BATTAIL, "Pondération des symboles décodés par l'algorithme de Viterbi," Annales des Télécommunications, to be published.Google Scholar
- 11.G. BATTAIL, "Weighted decoding as a means for reestimating a probability distribution," this issue.Google Scholar
- 12.J.E. SHORE and R.W. JOHNSON, "Axiomatic derivation of the principle of maximum entropy and the principle of minimum cross-entropy," I.E.E.E. Trans. on Inf. Theory pp.26–37, 1980.Google Scholar